DPDK announcements
* Re: [dpdk-announce] DPDK Community Survey - about to close
       [not found] <6A5E04BECFB4144EAFCF9EAE3B739A5355B21606@IRSMSX106.ger.corp.intel.com>
@ 2016-08-02 12:39 ` Thomas Monjalon
       [not found]   ` <9450082.B1U4CBcoeX@xps13>
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-08-02 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, announce; +Cc: michael.j.glynn

Hi all,

That's the first time a DPDK survey is published.
It will help us in our future progress to decide what are the most
important stuff to work on.

Please do not wait to fill it out. It closes on August 4.
Thanks for taking 2 minutes now to give your feedback.
When you will have done your duty, you might peacefully do
your next task or just enjoy a nice August month :)

Each voice counts! Thanks

2016-07-28 16:45, Glynn, Michael J:
> Hi all
>
> As part of our ongoing efforts to improve DPDK, we'd like to hear
> your feedback!
>
> We have created a number of DPDK-related questions here
> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DPDK_Community_Survey
> and want to hear your views!!
>
> The survey will close at midnight GMT on Thursday August 4th
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback - the more responses we get
> the more data we have to drive further features, improvements, etc...
> so please respond!!
>
> Regards
> Mike

* [dpdk-announce] FW: DPDK Community Survey - about to close
       [not found]     ` <6A5E04BECFB4144EAFCF9EAE3B739A5355B29C26@IRSMSX106.ger.corp.intel.com>
@ 2016-08-29 17:13       ` Glynn, Michael J
From: Glynn, Michael J @ 2016-08-29 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev, announce

Hi all

Firstly, thanks to all who provided input to the DPDK Community Survey. In total we had 149 responses with an 85% completion rate. ~40% of responders had contributed patches to a recent release which meant we had a good balance of contributors vs. users.

In terms of what's working well, the high-level feedback was:
* 96% of responders said that DPDK was meeting their requirements
* Roadmap communications - timely and right level of detail.
* Patch submissions process - 75% believe that it's working well
* Release cadence - four releases per year seems to be the right amount
* Engaged community - we got a significant amount of comments and feedback which we can use to drive further improvements

Regarding improvement areas, the main feedback was:
* Release Support (stable releases, LTS)
* Documentation - certain aspects are outdated and need attention (particularly the Programmers Guide)
* No specific hotspots but performance bottlenecks seen in certain areas
* Need for a continuous integration and test environment

I recently presented the results at the DPDK Summit so you can see more detail in this link https://dpdksummit.com/Archive/pdf/2016USA/Day02-Session15-MikeGlynn-DPDKSummit2016.pdf
I'm also planning to share the full set of detailed feedback with the community which I'm collating at the moment. We are also planning to review the feedback at the Userspace event in Dublin with a view to discussing the improvement areas in particular.

Finally, we are hoping to make this a regular survey (~every 6 months) to I'd like to encourage others to voice their opinions also!

Regards, and thanks
Mike

Final reminder that the survey closes today Thanks to those who have already provided their input!

Regards
Mike

* Re: [dpdk-announce] DPDK Community Survey - about to close
@ 2016-10-10 10:42         ` Glynn, Michael J
From: Glynn, Michael J @ 2016-10-10 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev, announce

> Regarding improvement areas, the main feedback was:
> * Release Support (stable releases, LTS)
> * Documentation - certain aspects are outdated and need attention (particularly the Programmers Guide)
> * No specific hotspots but performance bottlenecks seen in certain areas
> * Need for a continuous integration and test environment

Hi all - I just want to draw your attention to day 2 of the DPDK Userspace event in Dublin next week in which there will be a discussion on 'Usability (including packaging, stable releases, LTS releases etc.)' led by John McNamara (Intel), Christian Ehrhardt (Canonical), and Luca Boccassi (Brocade), and a presentation on 'Testing and Continuous Integration improvements in DPDK' by Qian Xu and Yuanhan Liu (both Intel). In addition, Bruce Richardson (Intel) will be giving a presentation on 'Identifying and Fixing Performance Bottlenecks in DPDK' using an example from the i40e driver illustrate the process.

The full planned agenda is located here https://dpdksummit.com/