* [dpdk-dev] Should we keep autotest.py ?
@ 2021-10-05 13:08 David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2021-10-05 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chen, Zhaoyan, Lincoln Lavoie, Ali Alnubani, Aaron Conole, ci
  Cc: dev, Thomas Monjalon, Yigit, Ferruh

Looking at how to add an autotest, I came upon autotest_data.py used
by autotest.py which has been in DPDK for a long time.

From what I see, DTS directly calls the test binary.
The public CI relies on meson to invoke unit tests.

Is the autotest.py script still used in some CI or can we remove it?

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Should we keep autotest.py ?
@ 2021-10-08  7:30 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2021-10-08  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chen, Zhaoyan, Lincoln Lavoie, Ali Alnubani, Aaron Conole, ci
  Cc: dev, Thomas Monjalon, Yigit, Ferruh

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:

> Looking at how to add an autotest, I came upon autotest_data.py used
> by autotest.py which has been in DPDK for a long time.
>
> From what I see, DTS directly calls the test binary.
> The public CI relies on meson to invoke unit tests.
>
> Is the autotest.py script still used in some CI or can we remove it?

Looking back in history, we lost ability to call this script with make removal.
So I'd say we are fine with dropping it.
See 3cc6ecfdfe85 ("build: remove makefiles")

Going once.

--

@ 2021-10-08  8:03   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2021-10-08  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand, Chen, Zhaoyan, Lincoln Lavoie, Ali Alnubani,
	Aaron Conole, ci
  Cc: dev, Thomas Monjalon

On 10/8/2021 8:30 AM, David Marchand wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at how to add an autotest, I came upon autotest_data.py used
>> by autotest.py which has been in DPDK for a long time.
>>
>>  From what I see, DTS directly calls the test binary.
>> The public CI relies on meson to invoke unit tests.
>>
>> Is the autotest.py script still used in some CI or can we remove it?
>
> Looking back in history, we lost ability to call this script with make removal.
> So I'd say we are fine with dropping it.
> See 3cc6ecfdfe85 ("build: remove makefiles")
>
> Going once.

I asked similar some time ago [1], I am not using it (or not aware of anything that
depends on it), so no objection to remove it.

[1]
http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/6f487e05-c40f-8445-247d-43f4dc3bf822@intel.com/

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Should we keep autotest.py ?
@ 2021-10-08  9:37     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2021-10-08  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ferruh Yigit
  Cc: David Marchand, Chen, Zhaoyan, Lincoln Lavoie, Ali Alnubani,
	Aaron Conole, ci, dev, Thomas Monjalon

On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 09:03:22AM +0100, Ferruh Yigit wrote:
> On 10/8/2021 8:30 AM, David Marchand wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Looking at how to add an autotest, I came upon autotest_data.py used
> > > by autotest.py which has been in DPDK for a long time.
> > >
> > >  From what I see, DTS directly calls the test binary.
> > > The public CI relies on meson to invoke unit tests.
> > >
> > > Is the autotest.py script still used in some CI or can we remove it?
> >
> > Looking back in history, we lost ability to call this script with make removal.
> > So I'd say we are fine with dropping it.
> > See 3cc6ecfdfe85 ("build: remove makefiles")
> >
> > Going once.
> >

> I asked similar some time ago [1], I am not using it (or not aware of anything that
> depends on it), so no objection to remove it.
>
> [1]
> http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/6f487e05-c40f-8445-247d-43f4dc3bf822@intel.com/

For me, OK to remove.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Should we keep autotest.py ?
@ 2021-10-08 10:19     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-10-08 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand, Chen, Zhaoyan, Lincoln Lavoie, Ali Alnubani,
	Aaron Conole, ci, Ferruh Yigit
  Cc: dev

08/10/2021 10:03, Ferruh Yigit:
> On 10/8/2021 8:30 AM, David Marchand wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 3:08 PM David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Looking at how to add an autotest, I came upon autotest_data.py used
> >> by autotest.py which has been in DPDK for a long time.
> >>
> >>  From what I see, DTS directly calls the test binary.
> >> The public CI relies on meson to invoke unit tests.
> >>
> >> Is the autotest.py script still used in some CI or can we remove it?
> >
> > Looking back in history, we lost ability to call this script with make removal.
> > So I'd say we are fine with dropping it.
> > See 3cc6ecfdfe85 ("build: remove makefiles")
> >
> > Going once.
> >

> I asked similar some time ago [1], I am not using it (or not aware of anything that
> depends on it), so no objection to remove it.
>
> [1]
> http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/6f487e05-c40f-8445-247d-43f4dc3bf822@intel.com/

No objection.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Should we keep autotest.py ?
@ 2021-10-08 10:55       ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2021-10-08 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Chen, Zhaoyan, Lincoln Lavoie, Ali Alnubani, Aaron Conole, ci,
	Ferruh Yigit, dev

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 12:33 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
> 08/10/2021 10:03, Ferruh Yigit:

> > > Looking back in history, we lost ability to call this script with make removal.
> > > So I'd say we are fine with dropping it.
> > > See 3cc6ecfdfe85 ("build: remove makefiles")
> > >
> > > Going once.
> > >

> > I asked similar some time ago [1], I am not using it (or not aware of anything that
> > depends on it), so no objection to remove it.
> >
> > [1]
> > http://inbox.dpdk.org/dev/6f487e05-c40f-8445-247d-43f4dc3bf822@intel.com/
> >

> No objection.

Going twice with me preparing the patch.

--
David Marchand