* ci: version.map check
@ 2024-09-10 16:56 Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2024-09-10 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

It would be convenient if the CI checked that the symbols in version.map files actually exist in the resulting code.

-Morten

* Re: ci: version.map check
@ 2024-09-10 23:48 ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2024-09-10 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: dev

On 9/10/2024 5:56 PM, Morten Brørup wrote:
> It would be convenient if the CI checked that the symbols in version.map files actually exist in the resulting code.

Is there instances that is not the case?

* RE: ci: version.map check
@ 2024-09-11  0:08   ` Morten Brørup
> On 9/10/2024 5:56 PM, Morten Brørup wrote:
> > It would be convenient if the CI checked that the symbols in
> version.map files actually exist in the resulting code.
> >

> Is there instances that is not the case?

While reviewing a patch, I noticed one such instance.
A previous version of the patch contained a global variable that had since been removed, but not from the version.map file.

Specifically "rte_lcore_var" in this earlier version:
https://patchwork.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20240208181644.455233-2-mattias.ronnblom@ericsson.com/

Which in this more recent patch has been removed, but remains in version.map:
https://patchwork.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20240910070344.699183-2-mattias.ronnblom@ericsson.com/

* Re: ci: version.map check
@ 2024-09-11  0:58     ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2024-09-11  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
On 9/11/2024 1:08 AM, Morten Brørup wrote:
> [...]

I expect build to catch them, via `./buildtools/check-symbols.sh`, which
uses `./devtools/check-symbol-maps.sh` internally. I did a quick check,
and add a non-existing symbol to a version.map file, build failed [1] as
expected.

For 'rte_lcore_var' instance, `check-symbol-maps.sh` does not catch it,
but if you update the variable name in version.map to 'rte_lcore_bar' it
does catch :)

So I assume `check-symbol-maps.sh` uses wildcard search, and because of
existing 'rte_lcore_var_alloc', detection fails.

Probably we need to fix `check-symbol-maps.sh` for this, and build will
catch extra symbols.

[1]
[133/264] Generating lib/ethdev.sym_chk with a custom command (wrapped
by meson to capture output)
FAILED: lib/ethdev.sym_chk