* [dpdk-dev] "Port 0 is not present on the board" when building DPDK libraries as shared
@ 2017-05-11 21:33 Mastorakis, Spyridon
From: Mastorakis, Spyridon @ 2017-05-11 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi guys,

When I compile the DPDK libraries as shared (by modifying the base_config file) and try to run an application (e.g., l3fwd), I get an error that port 0 is not present on board.

I have cleaned the system several times (unbinded NICs, removed igb_uio and uio modules and hugepage mappings) and have configured everything again, but this does not resolve the issue. I am also not able to add a virtual device (specifically a virtual ring) when I compile as a shared library (no PMD drivers found).

When I compile the DPDK libraries as static though, everything works perfectly fine and I can run the DPDK applications and add virtual rings.

I have tried dpdk-17.02 and the latest stable dpdk version (16.11.1), but none of them seems to work.

Do you have any clue why this is happening?

Thank you in advance,
Spyros

* Re: [dpdk-dev] "Port 0 is not present on the board" when building DPDK libraries as shared
@ 2017-05-12  8:41 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2017-05-12  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mastorakis, Spyridon; +Cc: dev

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 09:33:32PM +0000, Mastorakis, Spyridon wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> When I compile the DPDK libraries as shared (by modifying the base_config file) and try to run an application (e.g., l3fwd), I get an error that port 0 is not present on board.
>
> I have cleaned the system several times (unbinded NICs, removed igb_uio and uio modules and hugepage mappings) and have configured everything again, but this does not resolve the issue. I am also not able to add a virtual device (specifically a virtual ring) when I compile as a shared library (no PMD drivers found).
>
> When I compile the DPDK libraries as static though, everything works perfectly fine and I can run the DPDK applications and add virtual rings.
>
> I have tried dpdk-17.02 and the latest stable dpdk version (16.11.1), but none of them seems to work.
>
> Do you have any clue why this is happening?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Spyros

When compiled as a shared lib, are you passing in the "-d" parameters to
make sure that the PMDs are actually loaded by the app. Unlike the
static version, they are not automatically linked in the shared lib
build.

/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] "Port 0 is not present on the board" when building DPDK libraries as shared
@ 2017-05-12 15:25   ` Mastorakis, Spyridon
From: Mastorakis, Spyridon @ 2017-05-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richardson, Bruce; +Cc: dev

Hi Bruce,