* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Windows Community call - 28 March 2019
@ 2019-03-29  2:09 Ranjit Menon
From: Ranjit Menon @ 2019-03-29  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Attendees:-
---------
Raslan Darawsheh
Thomas Monjalon
Bruce Richardson
Cathal O'Hare
Anand Rawat
Pallavi Kadam
Ranjit Menon

* NEW:
Bi-weekly call will start 04-Apr-2019
  - 4pm Paris, 3pm Shannon, 7am Oregon
Invitee list at present:
   thomas@monjalon.net
   eilong@mellanox.com
   yohadt@mellanox.com
   rasland@mellanox.com
   bruce.richardson@intel.com
   cathal.ohare@intel.com
   anand.rawat@intel.com
   pallavi.kadam@intel.com
   ranjit.menon@intel.com

(Contact Cathal to be added to this meeting)

Minutes
-------
* Agreed on Clang as the compiler for Windows support
* V1 deadline was met for Hello world, compiler selection & EAL patches
* V6 currently available. V7 on its way later today
* Agreed objectives for window patches
    - Don’t break Linux/FreeBSD builds
    - Compiles for windows
    - Use agreed patch structure
    - Some CI required for upstreaming patches (just compile for now)
    - We will need to identify a test suite
    - We will need to later add unit tests
* Explained why we need .def files - will look to generate them
* Strategy for 19.05 upstream
    - All code should be in branch in draft repo
    - Update frequently (allows others to also contribute)
    - Need to rename branch to LATEST (19.05 or similar)
    - Master repo needs regular merges (confirms nothing broken)
    - Merge full patch sets
    - Check licenses then merge
* Discussion on whether we can involve libbsd folks
    - Could help with implementation on Windows
    - Need separate repo for window dependencies (gitlab?)
    - Meson might be able to handle this with some scripting
* Include headers need comment at the top describing file
    - will update in V7 patch
* Documentation has been tested by Mellanox
    - One issue found with Linux that is getting resolved in V7
* Whoever wants to be the maintainer needs to be able to perform all
   the work (regular communications, merges, reviews etc.)
* Look to re-work meson changes that modify existing build instructions
    - We want to avoid breaking the Linux list of C files
    - Please add new lines where applicable
    - Don’t change current lines
    - Helps maintain history and understanding
* Will need to look at EAL tidy up in 19.08
    - Move OS-specific implementations out of common
    - Lower priority compared to getting traffic running
    - Getting common files compiling
* Need to work on roadmap of features
    - Identify owners for features
    - PCI – currently support 40G Intel NIC (code in draft repo)
    - UIO driver (netuio) module has been written
    - Mellanox not using this, they are using devx
* Agreed to set up bi-weekly call for Windows support/status check
    - Notes from this first call to go out on public mailing list
    - Start to share our objectives for 2019 (in more detail)
    - Invite others to the Bi-weekly call