From: Harman Kalra <hkalra@marvell.com>
To: Gokul Bargaje <gokulbargaje.182009@nitk.edu.in>
Cc: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>, "users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] What is the 'unit of timestamp' assigned to mbuf packet in DPDK?
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 08:28:38 +0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:30:11PM +0530, Gokul Bargaje wrote:
> Thank you for the clarification. But I am still unable to understand how
> exactly timestamp is calculated before assigning to a timestamp field.
> Could you please tell me the steps to calculate the timestamp in DPDK?
>
> I have to implement the PIE AQM algorithm in DPDK and for that, I need to
> calculate the total time spent by the packet waiting in queue (i.e. the
> difference between enqueue time and dequeue time).
>
> Thanks,
> Gokul

Hi Gokul

octeontx2 also suports hardware timestamping, as soon as packet enter
the NIC queue, MAC writes the timestamp value to a memory location
(which is later read in mbuf->timestamp). Later using
'rte_eth_read_clock()' one can read the timestamp clock. Hence
"mbuf->timestamp - rte_eth_read_clock()" gives the time spent by packet
when it entered the queue to that point. As everybody suggested you can
refer rxtx_callback for more clarity.
Octeontx2 driver also has 'rte_eth_read_clock()' eth op implemented

Thanks
Harman