* [dpdk-dev] Need Help for Intel - i40e , XL710 40GbE Controller
@ 2020-03-04 16:48 Avner Taieb
From: Avner Taieb @ 2020-03-04 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi,
I am using  XL710 40GbE Controller with two ports.
The way I am using them is one port is configured to vfio-pci for using
with dpdk in user space and the other is left to the kernel driver and for
a seperate application that does not use DPDK.
As soon as DPDK initialize and start the port, the other port
become unusable.

Is there any setting/configuration that I am missing  ?

Thanks,
Avner

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Need Help for Intel - i40e , XL710 40GbE Controller
@ 2020-03-04 17:33 ` Roberts, Lee A.
From: Roberts, Lee A. @ 2020-03-04 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avner Taieb, dev

See https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/i40e.rst, in particular,
read the paragraph on "Unexpected Issues when the device driver and DPDK share a device".

                         - Lee

@ 2020-03-04 18:05   ` Avner Taieb
From: Avner Taieb @ 2020-03-04 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberts, Lee A.; +Cc: dev

Thanks Lee. I already read it and tried the potential remedy that is
suggested i.e. enabling the multi driver support , but it didn't solved the
problem.
Are there more setting documented anywhere ?

@ 2020-03-05  9:23     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2020-03-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avner Taieb; +Cc: Roberts, Lee A., dev

On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 08:05:27PM +0200, Avner Taieb wrote:
> Thanks Lee. I already read it and tried the potential remedy that is
> suggested i.e. enabling the multi driver support , but it didn't solved the
> problem.
> Are there more setting documented anywhere ?

Did you try using igb_uio driver from DPDK as the kernel module to see if
that works? The IOMMU grouping of the ports may be causing issues.

/Bruce

@ 2020-03-05 14:11       ` Avner Taieb
From: Avner Taieb @ 2020-03-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: Roberts, Lee A., dev