From: Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
To: Ibtisam Tariq <ibtisam.tariq@emumba.com>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Epoll installation in FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 09:25:57 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 03:27:30PM +0500, Ibtisam Tariq wrote:
> Hey.
>
> I've tried to install a new copy of FreeBSD. But it can't find the
> sys/epoll.h header file.
> I have searched and sys/epoll.h is not available on FreeBSD.
>
> The output of meson builds on FreeBSD.
> Has header "sys/epoll.h" : NO
> examples/meson.build:109.2: ERROR: Problem encountered: Cannot build
> requested example "ip_pipeline"
>
> How can I solve this problem?

The ip_pipeline example application is indeed not buildable on FreeBSD,
sadly, so there is no way to solve this problem without modifying the code
to not require the use of epoll. To get a clean DPDK build on FreeBSD you
need to remove this example from the list of examples you are requesting to
be built as part of the SDK build.

One suggestion to find all the examples which are working on FreeBSD is to
pass "-Dexamples=all" to meson, rather than requesting each by name. This
will attempt to build all examples, but won't error out on any that are not
buildable, instead it will just skip them.

Regards,
/Bruce