* CentOs End of Life?
@ 2024-01-30 17:18 Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2024-01-30 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

While reworking tap device, one issue is how to keep (or drop) the support
of older Enterprise releases. The tap flow support is doing some workarounds
to include missing support, but these are not the right way to do it.

The question is: is this even worth keeping?
CentOS 7 reaches end of life in June 2024.
CentOS 7 is using a kernel which is no longer supported.

If we drop CentOS 7, that means dropping RHEL7 and would need to be hightlighted
in the docs.

* Re: CentOs End of Life?
@ 2024-01-30 17:33 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2024-01-30 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Hemminger; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 09:18:49AM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> While reworking tap device, one issue is how to keep (or drop) the support
> of older Enterprise releases. The tap flow support is doing some workarounds
> to include missing support, but these are not the right way to do it.
>
> The question is: is this even worth keeping?
> CentOS 7 reaches end of life in June 2024.
> CentOS 7 is using a kernel which is no longer supported.
>
> If we drop CentOS 7, that means dropping RHEL7 and would need to be hightlighted
> in the docs.

I thought we had already dropped it. Centos 7 doesn't come by default with
a C11-supporting compiler.

/Bruce

* Re: CentOs End of Life?
@ 2024-01-30 17:45   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2024-01-30 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:33:06 +0000
Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 09:18:49AM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > While reworking tap device, one issue is how to keep (or drop) the support
> > of older Enterprise releases. The tap flow support is doing some workarounds
> > to include missing support, but these are not the right way to do it.
> >
> > The question is: is this even worth keeping?
> > CentOS 7 reaches end of life in June 2024.
> > CentOS 7 is using a kernel which is no longer supported.
> >
> > If we drop CentOS 7, that means dropping RHEL7 and would need to be hightlighted
> > in the docs.
>
> I thought we had already dropped it. Centos 7 doesn't come by default with
> a C11-supporting compiler.
>
> /Bruce

Well my recent patches were getting hit in CI by:

Meson Build Summary: 24 Builds Done, 23 Successful, 1 Failures, 0 Blocked

+-------------------+------------+--------------+------------+------------+-----------+----------+------------+
| os                | gcc-static | clang-static | icc-static | gcc-shared | gcc-debug | document | gcc-16byte |
+-------------------+------------+--------------+------------+------------+-----------+----------+------------+
| OpenAnolis8.8-64  | pass       |              |            |            |           |          |            |
| FreeBSD13-64      | pass       | pass         |            | pass       | pass      |          |            |
| RHEL92-64         | pass       | pass         |            | pass       | pass      |          |            |
| SUSE15-64         | pass       | pass         |            |            |           |          |            |
| CBL-Mariner2.0-64 | pass       |              |            |            |           |          |            |
| UB2204-32         | pass       |              |            |            |           |          |            |
| RHEL89-64         | pass       |              |            |            |           |          |            |
| UB2204-64         | pass       | pass         |            |            |           | pass     | pass       |
| CentOS79-64       | fail       |              |            |            |           |          |            | <<<<<<< This needs to go
| RHEL92-64Rt       | pass       |              |            |            |           |          |            |
| UB2310-64         | pass       |              |            |            |           |          |            |
| FC39-64           | pass       | pass         |            |            |           |          |            |
| UB2204-64Rt       | pass       |              |            |            |           |          |            |
+-------------------+------------+--------------+------------+------------+-----------+----------+------------+

* Re: CentOs End of Life?
@ 2024-01-30 19:10   ` Tyler Retzlaff
From: Tyler Retzlaff @ 2024-01-30 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: Stephen Hemminger, dev

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 05:33:06PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 09:18:49AM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > While reworking tap device, one issue is how to keep (or drop) the support
> > of older Enterprise releases. The tap flow support is doing some workarounds
> > to include missing support, but these are not the right way to do it.
> >
> > The question is: is this even worth keeping?
> > CentOS 7 reaches end of life in June 2024.
> > CentOS 7 is using a kernel which is no longer supported.
> >
> > If we drop CentOS 7, that means dropping RHEL7 and would need to be hightlighted
> > in the docs.
>
> I thought we had already dropped it. Centos 7 doesn't come by default with
> a C11-supporting compiler.

we did, tech board meeting around Jan/Feb 2023 minutes probably have the
decision recorded. starting dpdk release 23.11 RHEL/CentOS 7 are no
longer supported.

i guess the CI should only run for stable/release branches < 23.11?