* [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
@ 2020-06-18 10:26 Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2020-06-18 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon

Minutes 18 June 2020
--------------------

Agenda:
* Release Dates
* Subtrees
* LTS
* Opens

Participants:
* Arm
* Debian/Microsoft
* Intel
* Marvell
* Mellanox
* NXP
* Red Hat

Release Dates
-------------

* v20.08 dates:
  * Proposal/V1 deadline passed, it was on Friday 12 June 2020
  * -rc1:           Wednesday, 8 July   2020
  * -rc2:           Monday,   20 July   2020
  * Release:        Tuesday,   4 August 2020

Subtrees
--------

* main
  * Need to update PMD docs to use meson instead of make
  * Pulling from next-net
  * Bitops series merged
  * Windows port progressing
  * If-proxy related, control path discussion not started
    * Need to have discussion for more generic control path
      * Telemetry, if-proxy and others can use this control path
    * Plan was to create a spec for the control path and if-proxy will comply it
  * vfio token, new version is out with two acks
    * Marvell will test and send a tested-by tag
  * Roadmap is more complete in this release
    * Almost all major contributors shared the roadmap
      * 20.08 will be bigger than expected
    * Good indicator that shows project maturity is increasing
    * Will be good to get 20.11 roadmaps early

* next-net
  * Pulled from vendor sub-trees for mlx & intel
    * brcm also has a big base code update not merged yet to vendor tree
  * Some driver patches merged
  * There are a few ethdev patches, discussions going on

* next-crypto
  * Will start reviews next week

* next-eventdev
  * There is a new PMD from Intel (DLB) which cause ABI breakage
    * There will be new versions to prevent ABI break
  * Will merge some patches next week

* next-virtio
  * There are several series under review
  * Planning to send a pull request tomorrow
  * Big refactor on vdpa, there are API changes
  * Would like to get more reviews
    * Chenbo will support from Intel side

* next-net-mlx
  * Some patches pulled to next-net, more expected for release

* next-net-intel
  * Qi will take over the next-net-intel

* next-net-mrvl
  * A few patches will be merged
    * Will check if mvneta & mvpp2 PMDs are still active

LTS
---

* v19.11.3-rc1 is out, please test
  * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/dev/2020-June/169263.html
  * Test results from Intel, Mellanox, Red Hat & OvS
  * Waiting for results from Microsoft, expecting to have it today/tomorrow
  * Planning to release today/tomorrow after Microsoft test result

* v18.11.9 in progress
  * Issues with gcc10 for KNI ethtool which is still exist in 18.11
  * -rc1 expected this week

Opens
-----

* DPDK Userspace Summit, CFP is open
  * https://mails.dpdk.org/archives/announce/2020-April/000317.html
  * More to come related "DPDK Userspace Summit" soon

DPDK Release Status Meetings
============================

The DPDK Release Status Meeting is intended for DPDK Committers to discuss the
status of the master tree and sub-trees, and for project managers to track
progress or milestone dates.

The meeting occurs on every Thursdays at 8:30 UTC. on https://meet.jit.si/DPDK

If you wish to attend just send an email to
"John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>" for the invite.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] DPDK Release Status Meeting 18/06/2020
@ 2020-06-18 14:09 ` Trahe, Fiona
From: Trahe, Fiona @ 2020-06-18 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yigit, Ferruh, dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon, Trahe, Fiona, Mcnamara, John

Hi all,

If there's a cryptodev API change planned for 20.11 (an ABI breakage), is it necessary
to send a deprecation notice in 20.08?
Or can this just be worked during the normal 20.11 patch review cycle?

Regards,
Fiona

@ 2020-06-18 15:26   ` Ferruh Yigit
From: Ferruh Yigit @ 2020-06-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trahe, Fiona, dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon, Mcnamara, John

On 6/18/2020 3:09 PM, Trahe, Fiona wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If there's a cryptodev API change planned for 20.11 (an ABI breakage), is it necessary
> to send a deprecation notice in 20.08?
> Or can this just be worked during the normal 20.11 patch review cycle?

As far as I got it, it needs to follow the regular deprecation process. Which is
deprecation notice should be sent and merged (with 3 acks) in 20.08, so that it
can be changed in 20.11.

It can be good to highlight this, perhaps in next release status meeting, since
there may be some ABI changes waiting for 20.11, this release is last change for
them to send a deprecation notice.

@ 2020-06-18 15:30     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-06-18 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trahe, Fiona, Ferruh Yigit; +Cc: dev, Mcnamara, John

18/06/2020 17:26, Ferruh Yigit:
> On 6/18/2020 3:09 PM, Trahe, Fiona wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > If there's a cryptodev API change planned for 20.11 (an ABI breakage), is it necessary
> > to send a deprecation notice in 20.08?
> > Or can this just be worked during the normal 20.11 patch review cycle?
>
> As far as I got it, it needs to follow the regular deprecation process. Which is
> deprecation notice should be sent and merged (with 3 acks) in 20.08, so that it
> can be changed in 20.11.
>
> It can be good to highlight this, perhaps in next release status meeting, since
> there may be some ABI changes waiting for 20.11, this release is last change for
> them to send a deprecation notice.

Yes
Good idea to highlight it.