* [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 17.08-rc1
@ 2017-07-09 23:58 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-07-09 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: announce

A new DPDK release candidate is ready for testing:
	http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/tag/?id=v17.08-rc1

The planned release date for 17.08 is in three weeks.
So we cannot wait longer for the first release candidate.
However we can accept more features in rc2 which have minor impact
and are almost ready:
	- service cores API (impact to be evaluated)
	- traffic management API (QoS)
	- NIC reset API
	- failsafe driver

You can read the release notes in progress:
	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/rel_notes/release_17_08.html
Some highlights:
	- x86 requires SSE4.2
	- more ARM optimizations using NEON
	- GRO library
	- ethdev flow fuzzy match
	- ethdev flow isolate mode
	- cryptodev rework
	- eventdev burst mode
	- NXP DPAA2 eventdev driver
	- dpdk-test-eventdev application
	- eventdev_pipeline_sw_pmd example

There are a lot of work remaining for a short time period.
Please, let's work together to respect the planned release date:
	http://dpdk.org/dev/roadmap#dates

Thank you everyone

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 17.08-rc1
@ 2017-07-10  7:16 ` Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2017-07-10  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon

And nobody thought this was worth mentioning in the Release Notes or the Roadmap?

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards
- Morten Brørup

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 17.08-rc1
@ 2017-07-10  7:22   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-07-10  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: dev

10/07/2017 09:16, Morten Brørup:

> > You can read the release notes in progress:
> > 	http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/rel_notes/release_17_08.html
> > Some highlights:
> > 	- x86 requires SSE4.2
>
> And nobody thought this was worth mentioning in the Release Notes or the Roadmap?

Yes, you're right. It must be in the release notes.

Are you using a CPU older than SSE4.2?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-announce] release candidate 17.08-rc1
@ 2017-07-10  8:05     ` Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2017-07-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev

We have quite a few customers using our older hardware appliance model based on the Atom D525, and these appliances will not be firmware upgradable when we launch our DPDK based firmware. Although the Atom D525 is a 64 bit CPU, I don't know if DPDK ever supported it. If it was ever supported by DPDK, that support has also been silently removed - i.e. not mentioned in the DPDK Release Notes.

Traditionally, all of our firmware releases have been backwards compatible with all our hardware appliances, even those based on 32 bit CPUs launched more than a decade ago, i.e. before our Atom based hardware platform. The DPDK based firmware will break with this tradition, but we will be able to deal with it, probably by offering some kind of upgrade deal.