From: "Trahe, Fiona" <fiona.trahe@intel.com>
To: Pankaj Joshi <pankaj.joshi63@gmail.com>,
	qat-linux <qat-linux@intel.com>,  "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,
	"users@dpdk.org" <users@dpdk.org>
Cc: "Trahe, Fiona" <fiona.trahe@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Query for QAT software running in SR-IOV mode at VM
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:14:47 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Pankaj,
See below

If you're trying to use QAT with DPDK cryptodev API then there's no need for steps 4,5,6,7
above. These are steps for using the QA API, i.e. cpaCyXXX APIs.

Also the ICP_WITHOUT_IOMMU condition is only needed if intending to access the QAT HW from
the Host. If you intend to access the crypto services on QAT via the VF on a VM, then you can
use the standard out of the box install for a HOST.

Once the VF device is passed through to the VM, on the VM it can be passed straight through
to the user-space DPDK QAT PMD without a QAT kernel driver.
i.e. follow the bind commands on http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/cryptodevs/qat.html
to bind the VF to either igb_uio or vfio-pci

Then build your application to use the cryptodev APIs, see
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/sample_app_ug/ipsec_secgw.html
for an example of how to do this.
If you just want to get it up and running without a traffic generator, you can use the test app to
run a sanity check against any of the crypto poll mode drivers, e.g. to run some basic functional tests
against the QAT PMD, e.g.
use dpdk/usertools/dpdk-setup.sh to allocate huge pages
start test app, e.g. test -n1 -l1
(The test app has moved in a recent release, you should find it at either dpdk/build/app/ or dpdk/build/build/test/test )
Run the qat test suite with