From: Konstantin Ananyev <konstantin.ananyev@huawei.com>
To: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@amd.com>,
	Dariusz Sosnowski <dsosnowski@nvidia.com>,
	"NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL)" <thomas@monjalon.net>,
	Andrew Rybchenko <andrew.rybchenko@oktetlabs.ru>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,
	Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC 0/4] ethdev: rework config restore
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 17:21:57 +0000	[thread overview]

> > Yep, as I remember, at least some Intel PMDs calling hw_reset() ad dec_stop() and
> > even dev_start() to make sure that HW is in a clean (known) state.

> > Probably yes.

> >> Agreed. What do you think about the following?
> >
> > Instead of exposing that, can we probably make it transparent to the user
> > and probably ethdev layer too?
> >

> +1 to make it transparent to user, but not sure if we can make it
> transparent to ethdev layer.

Just to be clear:
Let say, using example from above:

 rte_eth_dev_start()
     - Call dev->dev_ops->dev_start()
     - Call dev->dev_ops->mac_addr_set() - apply default MAC address
     - Call dev->dev_ops->promiscuous_enable()
     - Call dev->dev_ops->allmulticast_enable()

We probably can introduce ethdev internal function (still visible to PMDs)
that would do last 3 steps:
ethdev_replay_user_conf(...)
     - Call dev->dev_ops->mac_addr_set() - apply default MAC address
     - Call dev->dev_ops->promiscuous_enable()
     - Call dev->dev_ops->allmulticast_enable()

And let PMD itself to decide does it needs to call it at dev_start() or not.
So it will become:
rte_eth_dev_start()
     - Call dev->dev_ops->dev_start()
	-Call ethdev_replay_user_conf(.)
     		- Call dev->dev_ops->mac_addr_set() - apply default MAC address
     		- Call dev->dev_ops->promiscuous_enable()
     		-Call dev->dev_ops->allmulticast_enable()

For PMDs that do need to restore user provided config
And
rte_eth_dev_start()
     - Call dev->dev_ops->dev_start()

For those who do not.

> Suggested 'internal_flag' in "struct rte_eth_dev_data" can be confusing
> and open to interpretation what to use it for and by time become source
> of defect.

Yes, same thoughts.

> Instead what do you think to have a separate, dedicated data struct for it?

Hmm... not sure I understood you here...