From: "Mattias Rönnblom" <hofors@lysator.liu.se>
To: "Varghese, Vipin" <Vipin.Varghese@amd.com>,
	Honnappa Nagarahalli <Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com>
Cc: "Yigit, Ferruh" <Ferruh.Yigit@amd.com>,
	"dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>, nd <nd@arm.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] introduce LLC aware functions
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2024 09:02:36 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2024-09-12 08:38, Mattias Rönnblom wrote:
> On 2024-09-12 03:33, Varghese, Vipin wrote:
>> [Public]
>>
>> Snipped

>>> functionality.

>>> compute complexes.

>>> environment.

>>> Anatoly we want expose a new API `rte_get_next_lcore_ex` which intakes a
>>> extra argument `u32 flags`.
>>> RTE_GET_LCORE_L3, RTE_GET_LCORE_BOOST_ENABLED,
>>> RTE_GET_LCORE_BOOST_DISABLED.

>> Current API available under DPDK is ` rte_get_next_lcore`, which is
>> used within DPDK example and in customer solution.
>> Based on the comments from others we responded to the idea of changing
>> the new Api from ` rte_get_next_lcore_llc` to `
>> rte_get_next_lcore_exntd`.
>>
>> Can you please help us understand what is `awkward`.
>>

> The awkwardness starts when you are trying to fit provide hwloc type
> information over an API that was designed for iterating over lcores.
>
> It seems to me that you should either have:
> A) An API in similar to that of hwloc (or any DOM-like API), which would
> give a low-level description of the hardware in implementation terms.
> The topology would consist of nodes, with attributes, etc, where nodes
> are things like cores or instances of caches of some level and
> attributes are things like CPU actual and nominal, and maybe max
> frequency, cache size, or memory size.

To to be clear; it's something like this I think of when I say
"DOM-style" API.

#ifndef RTE_HWTOPO_H
#define RTE_HWTOPO_H

struct rte_hwtopo_node;

enum rte_hwtopo_node_type {
     RTE_HWTOPO_NODE_TYPE_CPU_CORE,
     RTE_HWTOPO_NODE_TYPE_CACHE,
     RTE_HWTOPO_NODE_TYPE_NUMA
};

int
rte_hwtopo_init(void);

struct rte_hwtopo_node *
rte_hwtopo_get_core_by_lcore(unsigned int lcore);

struct rte_hwtopo_node *
rte_hwtopo_get_core_by_id(unsigned int os_cpu_id);

struct rte_hwtopo_node *
rte_hwtopo_parent(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node);

struct rte_hwtopo_node *
rte_hwtopo_first_child(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node);

struct rte_hwtopo_node *
rte_hwtopo_next_child(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node,
		      struct rte_hwtopo_node *child);

struct rte_hwtopo_node *
rte_hwtopo_first_sibling(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node);

struct rte_hwtopo_node *
rte_hwtopo_next_sibling(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node,
			struct rte_hwtopo_node *child);

enum rte_hwtopo_node_type
rte_hwtopo_get_type(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node);

#define RTE_HWTOPO_NODE_ATTR_CORE_FREQUENCY_NOMINAL 0
#define RTE_HWTOPO_NODE_ATTR_CACHE_LEVEL 1
#define RTE_HWTOPO_NODE_ATTR_CACHE_SIZE 2

int
rte_hwtopo_get_attr_int64(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node, unsigned int
attr_name,
			  int64_t *attr_value);

int
rte_hwtopo_get_attr_str(struct rte_hwtopo_node *node, unsigned int
attr_name,
			char *attr_value, size_t capacity);

#endif

Surely, this too would be awkward (or should I say cumbersome) to use in
certain scenarios. You could have syntactic sugar/special case helpers
which address common use cases. You would also build abstractions on top
of this (like the B case below).

One could have node type specific functions instead of generic getter
and setters. Anyway, this is not a counter-proposal, but rather just to
make clear, what I had in mind.