From: "Morten Brørup" <mb@smartsharesystems.com>
To: "Mattias Rönnblom" <mattias.ronnblom@ericsson.com>,
	"Honnappa Nagarahalli" <Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com>,
	dev@dpdk.org, thomas@monjalon.net, david.marchand@redhat.com
Cc: "Song Zhu" <Song.Zhu@arm.com>, "Gavin Hu" <Gavin.Hu@arm.com>,
	"Jeff Brownlee" <Jeff.Brownlee@arm.com>,
	"Philippe Robin" <Philippe.Robin@arm.com>,
	"Pravin Kantak" <Pravin.Kantak@arm.com>, "nd" <nd@arm.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Arm roadmap for 20.05
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:01:21 +0100	[thread overview]

I'm surprised if this was the intention. It doesn't make sense replacing obsolete implementations with other soon-to-be-obsolete implementations!

Use <stdatomic.h>, not GCC extensions. Consider the boolean type... back in the days everyone had to implement their own boolean types, now everyone uses the "bool" type from <stdbool.h>, not the "_Bool" type from C99. Aren't we looking at exactly the same scenario regarding atomics here?

> With this in mind, wouldn't be better to extend <rte_atomic.h> with
> functions that take a memory ordering parameter? And properly document
> the memory ordering for the functions already in this API, and maybe
> deprecate some functions in favor of others, more C11-like, functions?

Atomics have been standardized by C11 and <stdatomic.h>. Sooner or later they will be well documented and well understood. We might as well embrace them now.

With this in mind, the existing rte_atomic functions should be documented in a way that describes how they behave in standard atomic terms, i.e. which standard atomics they mimic. And as Honnappa already mentioned, we don't know how applications use them, so we cannot delete them, and it is risky to modify their behavior; the best we can do is document their current behavior properly and mark them as deprecated (superseded by C11 atomics and <stdatomic.h>).

> If not, assuming <stdatomic.h> can't be used, wouldn't it be better if
> we added a <rte_stdatomic.h>, which mimics the standard API, maybe with
> some DPDK tweaks, plus potentially with DPDK-specific extensions as
> well?

I agree. The future is <stdatomic.h>, and if that header is not available, we can add it ourselves.

> Directly accessing instrinsics will lead to things like
> __atomic_add_ifless() (already in DPDK code base), when people need to
> extend the API. This very much look like GCC built-in function, but is
> not.

In other words.... we should stop using GCC atomics and stop defining functions that look like GCC atomics, but use C11 atomics (preferably <stdatomic.h>) and make our own atomic functions look like those instead.

> Sorry for hijacking the ARM roadmap thread.

PS: Thanks to ARM for taking this initiative to modernize critical elements at the very core of DPDK. As we said back in the days: Keep up the good work!