From: "Morten Brørup" <mb@smartsharesystems.com>
To: "Tom Barbette" <barbette@kth.se>,
	"Honnappa Nagarahalli" <Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com>,
	<dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: "nd" <nd@arm.com>, "Alireza Farshin" <farshin@kth.se>,
	"Van Haaren, Harry" <harry.van.haaren@intel.com>,
	"Bruce Richardson" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Minutes of Technical Board Meeting, 2021-03-10
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 15:13:50 +0200	[thread overview]

If we are moving away from Compile Time parameters, I certainly prefer Tom's suggestion of Link Time parameters, rather than Run Time parameters.

This might also provide a middle ground for optimizations where Compile Time parameters are considered unacceptable by the DPDK community. I'm thinking about something along the lines of the "constant size" rte_event array presented at the 2020 Userspace Summit by Harry (https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/dpdkuserspace2020/d3/dpdk_userspace_20_api_performance_hvh.pdf). Taking this thinking even further out, a Link Time parameter could perhaps replace the nb_pkts parameter in on optimized rte_eth_rx_burst() function.

Med venlig hilsen / kind regards
- Morten Brørup