From: "Morten Brørup" <mb@smartsharesystems.com>
To: "Harris, James R" <james.r.harris@intel.com>,
	"Honnappa Nagarahalli" <Honnappa.Nagarahalli@arm.com>
Cc: <dev@dpdk.org>, "nd" <nd@arm.com>, <olivier.matz@6wind.com>,
	<andrew.rybchenko@oktetlabs.ru>, <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Subject: RE: Bug in rte_mempool_do_generic_get?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:45:48 +0100	[thread overview]

Yeah... I have tried hard to clean up some of the mess introduced by the <insert curse words here> patch [1] that increased the effective cache size by factor 1.5.

[1] http://git.dpdk.org/dpdk/commit/lib/librte_mempool/rte_mempool.h?id=ea5dd2744b90b330f07fd10f327ab99ef55c7266

E.g., somewhat related to your use case, I have argued against the design goal of trying to keep the mempool caches full at all times, but have not yet been able to convince the community against it.

Overall, this is one of the absolute core DPDK libraries, so the support for the changes I would like to see is near zero - even minor adjustments are considered very high risk, which I must admit has quite a lot of merit.

So instead of fixing the library's implementation to make it behave as reasonably expected according to its documentation, the library's implementation is considered the reference. And as a consequence, the library's internals, such as the cache size multiplier, is getting promoted to be part of the public API, e.g. for applications to implement mempool sizing calculations like the one below.

I recall running into problems once myself, when I had sized a mempool with a specific cache size for a specific number of cores, because 50 % additional objects got stuck in the caches. If you ask me, this bug is so fundamental that it should be fixed at the root, not by trying to document the weird behavior of allocating 50 % more than specified.

> >> Furthermore, since the effective per-core cache size is 1.5 *
> configured cache
> >> size, a configured cache size of 256 may leave up to 384 objects in
> each per-
> >> core cache.
> >>
> >> With 4 cores, you can expect up to 3 * 384 = 1152 objects sitting in
> the
> >> caches of other cores. If you want to be able to pull 512 objects
> with each
> >> core, the pool size should be 4 * 512 + 1152 objects.
> > May be we should document this in mempool library?
> >

> Maybe.  But this case I described here is a bit wonky - SPDK should
> never have been specifying a non-zero cache in this case.  We only
> noticed this change in behavior because we were creating the mempool
> with a cache when we shouldn’t have.

So, looking at the positive side, this regression revealed a "bug" in SPDK. ;-)

PS: I assume that you are aware that mempools generally perform better with cache, so I assume that you know what you are doing when you say that you don't need the cache.

PPS: Sorry about venting here. If nothing else, I hope it had some entertainment value. :-)