From: "Morten Brørup" <mb@smartsharesystems.com>
To: "Konstantin Ananyev" <konstantin.ananyev@huawei.com>,
	"Bruce Richardson" <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Cc: <honnappa.nagarahalli@arm.com>, <konstantin.v.ananyev@yandex.ru>,
	<jerinj@marvell.com>, <dev@dpdk.org>, <olivier.matz@6wind.com>
Subject: RE: Bug in non-power-of-2 rings?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 11:36:13 +0200	[thread overview]

+CC Olivier, referring to your review of the original patch.

Yes, since rte_ring_count() does it, it might be required here too.

> > thanks for flagging this inconsistency, but I think we are ok.
> >
> > For consumer, I think this is correct, because we are only ever
> reducing
> > the number of entries in the ring, and the calculation of the number
> of
> > entries is made in the usual way using modulo arithmetic. We should
> never
> > have more than capacity entries in the ring so the check in ring count
> > believe is superflous. [The exception would be if someone bypassed the
> > inline functions and accessed the ring directly themselves - at which
> point
> > "all bets are off", to use the English phrase]

I have now found the comments to the original patch [5]. It seems that Olivier flagged this as a risk for rte_ring_free_count(), which reads r->prod.tail and r->cons.tail without synchronization.

However, since __rte_ring_move_cons_head() uses synchronization, I guess that such a risk is not present here.

[5]: https://patchwork.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20170607133620.275801-2-bruce.richardson@intel.com/

> > The producer code (__rte_ring_move_prod_head) does do a capacity
> check,
> > which is where one is required to ensure we never exceed capacity.

Agreed. Thanks for double checking.

> I also can't come up with the case, when current code will cause an
> issue..
> In properly operating ring, I think we should never  have more then r-
> >capacity
> entries populated, so this extra check can be skipped.
> Unless you do have some particular case in mind?

No special case in mind. Just stumbled over this code looking different than similar code in rte_ring_free_count().