From: "Morten Brørup" <mb@smartsharesystems.com>
To: "Stephen Hemminger" <stephen@networkplumber.org>, <dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: <arshdeep.kaur@intel.com>,
	"Gowda, Sandesh" <sandesh.gowda@intel.com>,
	"Reshma Pattan" <reshma.pattan@intel.com>
Subject: RE: Issues around packet capture when secondary process is doing rx/tx
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 11:41:17 +0100	[thread overview]

So, callbacks don't work across processes, because code might differ across processes.

If process A is running, and RX'ing and TX'ing, and process B wants to install its own callbacks (e.g. packet capture) on RX and RX, we basically want process A to execute code residing in process B, which is impossible.

An alternative could be to pass the packets through a ring in shared memory. However, this method would add the ring processing latency of process B to the RX/TX latency of process A.

I think we can conclude that callbacks are one of the things that don't work with secondary processes.

With this decided, we can then consider how to best add packet capture. The concept of passing "data" (instead of calling functions) across processes obviously applies to this use case.