* [dpdk-dev] Probing the expected state/support of DPDK@armhf
@ 2021-11-08 12:32 Christian Ehrhardt
From: Christian Ehrhardt @ 2021-11-08 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Viktorin, Ruifeng Wang, dev; +Cc: Luca Boccassi

Hi,
I wanted to ask about the current state of DPDK@armhf (not arm64, that
seems fine AFAICS).
Since there are too many arms today, I mean armhf as in [0].

What I see when building DPDK 21.11 is
2973 ../config/meson.build:364:1: ERROR: Problem encountered: Number
of CPU cores not specified.

Right now this seems to be broken the same everywhere - Suse [1],
fedora [2], Debian/Ubuntu [3]

I'm not asking for a fix for this particular issue (although I guess
people would be happy), but more about the general state of
DPDK@armhf.

Debian and Ubuntu used to build it on armhf as well, but over the
recent years I feel (no hard data) that usage there was next to none.

OTOH Thomas said that recently people cared about armv7 [4]

My suggestion would be to disable the build on armhf in Debian/Ubuntu
(+elsewhere?) until it reaches a more stable phase and real use-cases.
But maybe I missed some use-cases, therefore I wanted to reach out to
the mailing list to probe for more opinions on this.

Thanks for your thoughts on this in advance!

P.S. If it is meant to work and be supported, then we will need a fix for that

[0]: https://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort
[1]: https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/home:bluca:dpdk/openSUSE_Factory_ARM/armv7l/dpdk/_log
[2]: https://build.opensuse.org/public/build/home:bluca:dpdk/Fedora_35/armv7l/dpdk/_log
[3]: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/567810935/buildlog_ubuntu-jammy-armhf.dpdk_21.11~rc1-1u~ppa1_BUILDING.txt.gz