From: "Chautru, Nicolas" <nicolas.chautru@intel.com>
To: Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>,
	David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
Cc: dev <dev@dpdk.org>, Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] [20.11, PATCH] bbdev: remove experimental tag from API
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 18:02:53 +0000	[thread overview]

> From: Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>
> > > Hello Nicolas,

> > > Cool that we want to stabilize this API.
> > > My concern is that we have drivers from a single vendor.
> > > I would hate to see a new vendor unable to submit a driver (or
> > > having to wait until the next ABI breakage window) because of the
> > > current API/ABI.
> > >

> > +1 from my side. I am not sure how much it is acceptable for all the
> > vendors/customers.
> > It is not reviewed by most of the vendors who may support in future.
> > It is not good to remove experimental tag as we have a long 1 year
> > cycle to break the API/ABI.
> >
> Moving the patch as deferred in patchworks.

That is fine and all good discussion.
We know of another vendor who plan to release a bbdev driver but probably after 20.11.
There is one extra capability they will need exposed, we will aim to have the API is updated prior to that.
Assuming the API get updated between now and 20.11, is there still room to remove experimental tag in 20.11 or the expectation is to wait regardless for a full stable cycle and only intercept ABI v22 in  21.11?

Thanks
Nic