* [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Difference in make exec-env: linuxapp and linux
@ 2020-07-28 10:23 Ibtisam Tariq
From: Ibtisam Tariq @ 2020-07-28 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello.

We have several targets in dpdk/config when compiling using MAKE. The
dpdk target format is ARCH-MACHINE-EXECENV-TOOLCHAIN where EXECENV can
be linux, linuxapp, freebsd and bsdapp. What is the difference between
linuxapp and linux?

It seems the same because they both have the same .config files.

Thanks
--
- Ibtisam

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Difference in make exec-env: linuxapp and linux
@ 2020-07-28 10:31 ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2020-07-28 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ibtisam Tariq; +Cc: dev

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 03:23:48PM +0500, Ibtisam Tariq wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We have several targets in dpdk/config when compiling using MAKE. The
> dpdk target format is ARCH-MACHINE-EXECENV-TOOLCHAIN where EXECENV can
> be linux, linuxapp, freebsd and bsdapp. What is the difference between
> linuxapp and linux?
>
> It seems the same because they both have the same .config files.

They are indeed the same, they are just aliases for the same config files.

Please note though, that from DPDK 20.11 release onwards, the Make build
system will be removed from DPDK, and you should use meson and ninja
instead to build DPDK, and thereafter use the libdpdk.pc pkg-config file to
compile and link applications against the DPDK instance.

Regards,
/Bruce

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [dpdk-users] Difference in make exec-env: linuxapp and linux
@ 2020-07-28 16:07   ` Ibtisam Tariq
From: Ibtisam Tariq @ 2020-07-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

Ok, thanks for the clarification.