EDIT : The tutorial that I followed to test SoftNIC ( https://doc.dpdk.org/guides-19.02/nics/softnic.html) is appropriate for DPDK 19.02 but not for the newer versions like 19.11.12, the one I use. We found out something : " sudo ./dpdk-testpmd --vdev 'net_softnic0,firmware=./firmware.cli,cpu_id=0,conn_port=8086,sc=0' -- -i --portmask=0x2". We didn't really understand the impact of "sc=0" by the way. First line of firmware.cli file : "link LINK0 dev net_softnic0" instead of "link LINK0 dev 0000:19:00.0". Then, we switched the forwarding mode to Input/Output with the CLI. With all of that, it looked like it worked. We didn't have any error messages like before. If someone is comfortable with test pmd / softnic versions, help should be quite welcome. Then, can anyone help us on the pipeline we wanna design (first e-mail) ? Regards, Max. Le mar. 3 mai 2022 à 11:33, Maxime Ramiara a écrit : > Hi all, > > I'm a beginner with dpdk. With my team, we developed a dpdk app with the > following pipeline: > > NIC RX -> RX Thread -> Worker Thread -> TX Thread -> NIC TX. > > Within the RX Thread, we parse some headers. Within the worker thread, > we're using the hierarchical scheduler. To sum up, we want to replace the > HS with the traffic manager. > However, it seems the TM can only be set up on a NIC. This is not what we > want because we're doing some packet processing stuff within the TX Thread. > > > Thus, we thought about the SoftNIC as a solution for our problem. Would it > be possible to develop a pipeline like this ? > > NIC RX -> RX Thread -> SoftNIC with TM -> Worker Thread -> TX Thread -> > NIC TX. > > It looks like the "firmware.cli" script and the packet framework offer us > some freedom to make our pipeline. > First and foremost, I tried to test the SoftNIC with the following command > in the doc : > > ./testpmd -c 0x3 --vdev 'net_softnic0,firmware=