* [dpdk-dev] Solarflare DPDK
@ 2017-03-20 14:22 Ankit Aggarwal
From: Ankit Aggarwal @ 2017-03-20 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev-request, dev

Hi DPDK Users/devs

Can you please tell me the benefits of using DPDK over openonload for
solarflare cards?

Ankit Aggarwal

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Solarflare DPDK
@ 2017-03-21  8:18 ` Andrew Rybchenko
From: Andrew Rybchenko @ 2017-03-21  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankit Aggarwal, dev

Hi Ankit,

(May be users@dpdk.org is a better place for such questions)

OpenOnload provides a user-level TCP/IP stack with POSIX interface –
transparently runs any Linux sockets binary without requiring any
changes to the application. "DPDK is a set of libraries and drivers for
fast packet processing. [snip] DPDK is not a networking stack" (quotes
from dpdk.org). So they have very different end use-cases.

So if end-use case is performing packet processing and/or switching
packets between network interfaces then DPDK allows an open API to be
used. However, if app needs to terminate TCP or UDP flows then
OpenOnload provides a mature TCP/IP stack. We’ve seen good results with
applications such as Nginx with OpenOnload.

Regards,
Andrew.

On 03/20/2017 05:22 PM, Ankit Aggarwal wrote:
> Hi DPDK Users/devs
>
> Can you please tell me the benefits of using DPDK over openonload for
> solarflare cards?
>
> Ankit Aggarwal

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Solarflare DPDK
@ 2017-03-21  9:05   ` Ankit Aggarwal
From: Ankit Aggarwal @ 2017-03-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Rybchenko, users; +Cc: dev

Hi Andrew

I'm developing a kit for kernel bypass purpose.OpenOnLoad already provides
a way to do kernel bypass.

Can dpdk also be used for kernel bypassing purpose on intel/solarflare
cards?

Ankit Aggarwal

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Andrew Rybchenko <arybchenko@solarflare.com