On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 11:59 AM Thomas Monjalon wrote: > > 13/09/2021 20:33, Ben Pfaff: > > I could not find anything in the documentation that says what > > testpmd does. This should save other people time trying to > > figure that out in the future. > > > > Signed-off-by: Ben Pfaff > [...] > > --- a/doc/guides/testpmd_app_ug/intro.rst > > +++ b/doc/guides/testpmd_app_ug/intro.rst > > @@ -6,9 +6,13 @@ Introduction > > > > This document is a user guide for the ``testpmd`` example application that is shipped as part of the Data Plane Development Kit. > > > > -The ``testpmd`` application can be used to test the DPDK in a packet forwarding mode > > -and also to access NIC hardware features such as Flow Director. > > -It also serves as a example of how to build a more fully-featured application using the DPDK SDK. > > +``testpmd`` is a tool to test ethdev NIC features, including NIC > > +hardware features such as Flow Director. It receives packets on each > > Not sure about keep mentioning Flow Director which is an Intel name > for an internal feature used through rte_flow rules. > What others think? Do we have better examples of hardware offload? We could use RSS and RFS. I think Receive Side Scaling and Receive Flow Steering would cover the intended offloads. > > > +configured port and forwards them. By default, packets received on > > +port 0 are forwarded to port 1, and vice versa, and similarly for > > +ports 2 and 3, ports 4 and 5, and so on. If an odd number of ports is > > +configured, packets received on the last port are sent back out on the > > +same port. > > > > The guide shows how to build and run the testpmd application and > > how to configure the application from the command line and the run-time environment. > > >