On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 6:51 AM Ferruh Yigit wrote: > > On 2/11/2021 7:44 PM, Lance Richardson wrote: > > Add support for querying receive queue count in order to allow > > the rte_eth_dev rx_queue_count() API to be exercised and tested. > > > > +1 to adding this feature, but the naming is a little misleading, "Rx queue > count", it looks like it will print the number of Rx queues, and the API has the > same problem indeed. > > Can you please clarify it that it is to get number of used descriptor in a Rx queue? > And "used descriptor" part also needs some explanation I think. > That makes sense, fixed in v2. > > There is already an existing command: > "show port rxq|txq desc status" > > What do you think adding the new one as something like: > "show port rxq desc used count" Sounds good, v2 is updated to use that form. > > +show rxq count > > +~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > The '~' line length should be same as header length > Fixed in v2. > > + > > +Display the number of ready descriptors on a given RX queue:: > > Can you please describe more, what is "ready descriptor"? > > The 'rte_eth_rx_queue_count()' API should be returning number of descriptors > filled by HW. > I took a stab at this in v2, but maybe it could be expanded more. As I understand it, the returned descriptor count should correspond to the number of packets that could be received in the next call to the burst receive function... not necessarily the hardware-specific notion of a descriptor, which might include descriptors used for chained mbufs, LRO metadata, async status messages from firmware, etc. Thanks, Lance