From: Owen Hilyard <ohilyard@iol.unh.edu>
To: Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org, dts@dpdk.org, ferruh.yigit@intel.com,
	 arybchenko@solarflare.com, Olivier Matz <olivier.matz@6wind.com>,
	 david.marchand@redhat.com, ivan.malov@oktetlabs.ru,
	 bruce.richardson@intel.com, jerin.jacob@caviumnetworks.com,
	 Lincoln Lavoie <lylavoie@iol.unh.edu>,
	rasland@mellanox.com, j.hendergart@f5.com
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Hardware Checksum Checks Offload Feature
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 10:51:58 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello,

In regards to the outer layers, having grepped through the code for
"[\w_]+_GOOD|[\w_]+_BAD", I wasn't able to find the flags that I expected.
I expected something like PKT_RX_OUTER_IP_CKSUM_BAD and
PKT_RX_OUTER_IP_CKSUM_GOOD to show up since that seems to be the format for
flags to be printed, but there wasn't anything in the grep output related
to that. Am I missing something? I can do outer UDP fairly easily, but it
doesn't look like there is support for outer TCP and outer SCTP in TestPmd.
I will plan to add tests

> > I decided to separate out the test cases instead of doing it like the
> > other ones in that area of the test suite because I noticed that a NIC
> > doesn't necessarily need to support offloading all checksum types, and
> > if I wrote the tests in the same way as the other ones in the test, it
> > would fail everything if the first protocol wasn't supported,
>
> No, if it is not supported, the result must have a special value
"UNKNOWN".

To clarify my meaning there, I mean that the verify statements in the test
case will abort the test on the first failed statement, so I am splitting
the tests up so that I don't need to collect all of the errors and then
spit them all out at once. Also, as far as I can tell, unknown only occurs
when it is not possible to decode a layer. The NIC I am testing with
doesn't support offloading outer udp, and TestPmd gives me an error message
and then leaves the option set to software mode. When I send a packet
without any tunneling, then it gives me something like
"PKT_RX_OUTER_L4_CKSUM_UNKNOWN". Is this assessment incorrect?

>  I think you should describe all the protocols you want to test.

Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks for your feedback