From: David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
To: Stephen Hemminger <stephen@networkplumber.org>
Cc: dev@dpdk.org, Anatoly Burakov <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>,
	 Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@amd.com>,
	Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>
Subject: Re: [RFC] eal: increase the number of availble file descriptors for MP
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 15:40:22 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 7:54 PM Stephen Hemminger
<stephen@networkplumber.org> wrote:

> The current limit of file descriptors is too low, it should have
> been set to the maximum possible to send across an unix domain
> socket.
>
> This is an attempt to allow increasing it without breaking ABI.
> But in the process it exposes what is broken about how symbol
> versions are checked in check-symbol-maps.sh. That script is
> broken in that it won't allow adding a backwards compatiable
> version hook like this.

- It could be enhanced maybe, but I see no problem with the script.

The versions for compat symbols in this patch are wrong.
We want to keep compat with ABI 24, not 23.
And next ABI will be 25.

- rte_mp_old_msg does not have to be exported as public in rte_eal.h.

- I think the patch is not complete:
 * rte_mp_action_register and rte_mp_request_async need versioning too,
 * because of the former point, handling of msg requests probably
needs to keep track of accepted length per registered callbacks,

--
David Marchand