From: David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com>
To: siddarth rai <siddsr@gmail.com>,
	"Burakov, Anatoly" <anatoly.burakov@intel.com>
Cc: dev <dev@dpdk.org>, julien.meunier@nokia.com
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] Big spike in DPDK VSZ
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2020 10:22:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:48 AM siddarth rai <siddsr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using DPDK 19.08 and I notice the process VSZ is huge.
>
> I tried running the test PMD. It takes 64G VSZ and if I use the
> '--in-memory' option it takes up to 188G.
>
> Is there anyway to disable allocation of such huge VSZ in DPDK ?
> This is resulting in huge core files and I suspect that the problem will
> compound on multi-NUMA machines.

For this particular issue, it might be interesting to look at madvise stuff:

       MADV_DONTDUMP (since Linux 3.4)
              Exclude from a core dump those pages in the range
specified by addr and length.  This is useful in applications that
have large areas of memory that are known not to be useful in a core
dump.
              The effect of MADV_DONTDUMP takes precedence over the
bit mask that is set via the /proc/PID/coredump_filter file (see
core(5)).

(FreeBSD seems to have a MADV_NOCORE flag too).

--
David Marchand