On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:07 PM Thomas Monjalon wrote: > > 30/03/2024 12:38, huangdengdui: > > But, there are different solutions for the device to report the setting > > lane capability, as following: > > 1. Like the current patch, reporting device capabilities in speed and > > lane coupling mode. However, if we use this solution, we will have > > to couple the the lanes setting with speed setting. > > > > 2. Like the Damodharam's RFC patch [1], the device reports the maximum > > number of supported lanes. Users can config a lane randomly, > > which is completely separated from the speed. > > > > 3. Similar to the FEC capability reported by a device, the device reports the > > relationship table of the number of lanes supported by the speed, > > for example: > > speed lanes_capa > > 50G 1,2 > > 100G 1,2,4 > > 200G 2,4 > > > > Options 1 and 2 have been discussed a lot above. > > > > For solution 1, the speed and lanes are over-coupled, and the implementation is too > > complex. But I think it's easier to understand and easier for the device to report > > capabilities. In addition, the ethtool reporting capability also uses this mode. > > > > For solution 2, as huisong said that user don't know what lanes should or can be set > > for a specified speed on one NIC. > > > > I think that when the device reports the capability, the lanes should be associated > > with the speed. In this way, users can know which lanes are supported by the current > > speed and verify the configuration validity. > > > > So I think solution 3 is better. What do you think? > > I don't understand your proposals. > Please could you show the function signature for each option? > > > testpmd can query the driver, and driver can export latest bit-map say in, rte_eth_speed_lanes_get()->supported_bmap 0 1Gb link speed 1 10Gb (NRZ: 10G per lane, 1 lane) link speed 2 25Gb (NRZ: 25G per lane, 1 lane) link speed 3 40Gb (NRZ: 10G per lane, 4 lanes) link speed 4 50Gb (NRZ: 25G per lane, 2 lanes) link speed 5 100Gb (NRZ: 25G per lane, 4 lanes) link speed 6 50Gb (PAM4-56: 50G per lane, 1 lane) link speed 7 100Gb (PAM4-56: 50G per lane, 2 lanes) link speed 8 200Gb (PAM4-56: 50G per lane, 4 lanes) link speed 9 400Gb (PAM4-56: 50G per lane, 8 lanes) link speed 10 100Gb (PAM4-112: 100G per lane, 1 lane) link speed 11 200Gb (PAM4-112: 100G per lane, 2 lanes) link speed 12 400Gb (PAM4-112: 100G per lane, 4 lanes) link speed 13 800Gb (PAM4-112: 100G per lane, 8 lanes) link speed 14 For future In cmd_config_speed_specific_parsed() if (parse_and_check_speed_duplex(res->value1, res->value2, &link_speed) < 0) return; + /* validate speed x lanes combo */ + if (!cmd_validate_lanes(res->id, link_speed)) + return; Driver can validate the rest of other internal link parameters in rte_eth_dev_start() before applying the config to the hardware. -- This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.