From: Jerin Jacob <jerinjacobk@gmail.com>
To: "Zhang, Qi Z" <qi.z.zhang@intel.com>
Cc: Ori Kam <orika@nvidia.com>,
Subject: Re: [RFC] lib/ethdev: introduce table driven APIs
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 14:07:46 +0530	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 1:12 PM Zhang, Qi Z <qi.z.zhang@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

Not the naming of library. Duplicate functional APIs to express a
specific use case for HW.

> > > While the idea of offloading P4 to rte_flow is certainly interesting, it
> > doesn't seem to directly address our initial problem statement.
> > > The primary objective is to find a solution for offloading rte_flow into a P4-
> > based pipeline.
> >
> > Isn't same? If not, Please elaborate on "P4 to rte_flow mapping" vs
> > "offloading rte_flow into a P4-based pipeline"
>
> OK I guess the gap here is I may not fully understand is
> how we defined the case of item(2) Existing HW and SW drivers implements rte-flow driver.
>
> If we assume that the application is not P4-aware, it will consume existing rte_flow API for flow offloading. In this case, all we need to do is implement it in the PMD, which will be a highly hardware-specific task. Do you propose generalizing this common part?
>
> On the other hand, if the application is P4-aware, we can assume that there won't be a need for translation between P4 tokens and rte_flow protocols in the PMD.

I agree, Translation is BAD. There are two elements to that.
1)if it is p4 aware application, why bother with DPDK abstraction?
2)Can we use compiler techniques to avoid the cost of translation if
P4-aware path is needed in DPDK. Rather than creating yet another
library. In this context, that would translate to some of your
compiler and FW work making as
generic so that _any_ other rte_flow based driver can use and improve it.

> > > We have identified two distinct use cases:
> > >
> > > P4-Aware Applications:
> > >
> > > For applications that are already P4 aware, the proposal suggests the
> > introduction of a new set of APIs to rte_flow.
> > > These APIs aim to facilitate seamless integration between DPDK and P4
> > aware applications.
> >
> > Counter argument for that is, If the P4 is API contract then why bother with
> > DPDK abstraction use vdev +  rawdev talk to FW as PMD is just passing
> > message to FW. FW is doing the heavy lifting anyway.
>
> We are attempting to generalize the common aspects, considering that P4 Runtime is a standard API. It appears worthwhile to expose certain APIs that can assist its backend implementation.

I agree. If backend is built on top rte_flow and some compiler bits. I
think, multiple consumer can use it.
Otherwise, we are making the API for a p4 FW backend is needed.