* [dpdk-dev] meson support of armv8 crypto PMD
@ 2019-10-02  8:55 Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-10-02  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerin Jacob, honnappa.nagarahalli, bruce.richardson; +Cc: dev, david.marchand

Hi,

There is no meson support for drivers/crypto/armv8/

Please, who can add it?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] meson support of armv8 crypto PMD
@ 2019-10-02  9:19 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2019-10-02  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerin Jacob, Honnappa Nagarahalli; +Cc: Bruce Richardson, Thomas Monjalon, dev

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
> There is no meson support for drivers/crypto/armv8/
>
> Please, who can add it?

From my side, I would love to get detailed instructions on cross
compiling the external library "armv8_crypto".

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] meson support of armv8 crypto PMD
@ 2019-10-02  9:36 ` Jerin Jacob
From: Jerin Jacob @ 2019-10-02  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon
  Cc: Jerin Jacob, honnappa.nagarahalli, Richardson, Bruce, dpdk-dev,
	David Marchand

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 2:26 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is no meson support for drivers/crypto/armv8/
>
> Please, who can add it?

Marvell will work on it.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] meson support of armv8 crypto PMD
@ 2019-10-02 10:38   ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2019-10-02 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerin Jacob, Honnappa Nagarahalli; +Cc: Bruce Richardson, Thomas Monjalon, dev

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM David Marchand
<david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
> > There is no meson support for drivers/crypto/armv8/
> >
> > Please, who can add it?
>
> From my side, I would love to get detailed instructions on cross
> compiling the external library "armv8_crypto".

Something has been broken in this library.
Current HEAD won't compile, went back to some reference Thomas had in his setup.

d498a6f - (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD) crypto/armv8:
ILP optimizations for AES128CBCdec+SHA256 HMAC (2 years, 7 months ago)
<Zbigniew Bodek>

Won't compile.

71258fb - Makefile: remove DPDK dependency (2 years, 9 months ago)
<Zbigniew Bodek>

Builds fine.

Please someone fix this library and/or the documentation we have in dpdk.
Thanks.

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] meson support of armv8 crypto PMD
@ 2019-10-03  4:23     ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2019-10-03  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand, jerinj; +Cc: Bruce Richardson, thomas, dev, nd

> Subject: Re: meson support of armv8 crypto PMD
>
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM David Marchand
> <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM Thomas Monjalon
> <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
> > > There is no meson support for drivers/crypto/armv8/
> > >
> > > Please, who can add it?
I will add for the DPDK part.

> > From my side, I would love to get detailed instructions on cross
> > compiling the external library "armv8_crypto".
This library itself is external to DPDK. Jerin should have more details.

@ 2019-10-03  6:30     ` Jerin Jacob
From: Jerin Jacob @ 2019-10-03  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand
  Cc: Jerin Jacob, Honnappa Nagarahalli, Bruce Richardson,
	Thomas Monjalon, dev, Hemant Agrawal

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 4:09 PM David Marchand <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM David Marchand
> <david.marchand@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:
> > > There is no meson support for drivers/crypto/armv8/
> > >
> > > Please, who can add it?
> >
> > From my side, I would love to get detailed instructions on cross
> > compiling the external library "armv8_crypto".
>
> Something has been broken in this library.
> Current HEAD won't compile, went back to some reference Thomas had in his setup.
>
> d498a6f - (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD) crypto/armv8:
> ILP optimizations for AES128CBCdec+SHA256 HMAC (2 years, 7 months ago)
> <Zbigniew Bodek>
>
> Won't compile.
>
> 71258fb - Makefile: remove DPDK dependency (2 years, 9 months ago)
> <Zbigniew Bodek>
>
> Builds fine.
>

> Please someone fix this library and/or the documentation we have in dpdk.

I have fixed the 'native' build issue. We will add cross-compilation
support and update the library README.

I was expecting a similar issue and I was against creating a separate
library to have an unnecessary
dependency. This library was soley meant for DPDK so there was no
technical reason for making it
a separate library. I don't believe the external libraries are really
open source way of doing the stuff.
I think the argument to keep the external library was
- Crypto export license issues.
-  Assembly code is diffcult to understand and therefore maintain it.