On Mon, 29 Jul 2024 at 23:13, Dmitry Kozlyuk wrote: > 2024-07-29 22:18 (UTC+0530), Prashant Upadhyaya: > > Hi, > > > > I have 4 ethernet interfaces available as PCI devices. > > The PCI addresses are known. > > When I start my DPDK application, it starts up properly and assigns the > > port numbers to them as 0, 1, 2, 3 expectedly. > > > > However, is there a way I can force that a particular PCI address should > be > > identified as port 0 by DPDK, another one as port 1 and so forth ? > > Does passing the arguments like -a -a to > rte_eal_init > > ensure that, or is there any other way, or is there no way ? > > > > I am on 24.03 > > > > Regards > > -Prashant > > Hi, > > Why do you need specific port numbers assigned to devices? > > If you're going to use devices for different purposes, > you'd better have an application-level configuration > to specify PCI addresses to use for each purpose. > Iterate devices to match the address and find the port number. > > It is also possible to disable automatic probing with "-a 0:0.0", > then to use rte_dev_probe() + rte_dev_event_callback_register() > to add devices and to get their port numbers. > However, this API, strictly speaking, does not guarantee > that the numbers will be assigned sequentially. > One advantage of using hot-plug is that you can build devargs > from within the application (or from configuration). > > Refer to "rte_dev.h" in any case. > Multiple "-a" don't work the way you've described. > Thanks Dmitry. Ok, so if I have the port number with me, and I know it corresponds to a PCI device, how do I find out the PCI address of this device corresponding to this port number. I believe I can do rte_eth_dev_info_get to get the struct rte_eth_dev_info and from there the rte_device, but what after that ? I saw some references to RTE_DEV_TO_PCI but that macro isn't available for compilation after DPDK is installed as it is an internal header file and thus not a macro for application usage and wouldn't compile at application level. Regards -Prashant