From: Dariusz Sosnowski <dsosnowski@nvidia.com>
To: "NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL)" <thomas@monjalon.net>,
	Alex Chapman <alex.chapman@arm.com>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,
	"Luca.Vizzarro@arm.com" <Luca.Vizzarro@arm.com>,
	"Paul.Szczepanek@arm.com" <Paul.Szczepanek@arm.com>,
	 Slava Ovsiienko <viacheslavo@nvidia.com>,
	Bing Zhao <bingz@nvidia.com>, Ori Kam <orika@nvidia.com>,
	Suanming Mou <suanmingm@nvidia.com>,
	Matan Azrad <matan@nvidia.com>
Subject: RE: Issue in testpmd when using RSS Flows with Mellanox NICs
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2024 12:13:31 +0000	[thread overview]

Currently mlx5 PMD requires that array of Rx queues is provided with RSS flow action.
There's no support right now for default set of queues on mlx5 PMD side.

"queues" parameter of RSS flow action takes Rx queue indices directly, not redirection table indices,
so when RSS hash is calculated during processing of that action,
then the queue is selected as:

	queues[hash % nb_of_queues]

> > When looking through the Generic flow API guide under RSS
> > (https://doc.dpdk.org/guides/prog_guide/rte_flow.html), the attribute
> > queues does not exist.
> >  From my understanding this seems to be a mistake, as the attribute
> > "queue" does exist with the definition "queue indices to use"
> > However when attempting to use this attribute I get the error "Bad
> > arguments"

Yes, that's a mistake and we should fix that.

> > If anyone is able to shed some light on the use of RSS in flows, that
> > would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex

Best regards,