From: Dariusz Sosnowski <dsosnowski@nvidia.com>
To: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@amd.com>,
	Konstantin Ananyev <konstantin.ananyev@huawei.com>,
	"NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon (EXTERNAL)" <thomas@monjalon.net>,
	Andrew Rybchenko <andrew.rybchenko@oktetlabs.ru>
Cc: "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>,
	Bruce Richardson <bruce.richardson@intel.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC 0/4] ethdev: rework config restore
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2024 16:18:54 +0000	[thread overview]

Could you please explain what is the benefit of exposing flags through dev_ops callback vs a dedicated flags field in rte_eth_dev_data?
In both solutions:
- config restore is transparent to the user,
- drivers can omit config restore (either by not implementing the callback or not providing the flags),
- an ABI change is introduced (not a huge concern, at least for 24.11).

I understand that my initial proposal with "internal_flags" was too vague,
but renaming and splitting this field into:

- dev_start_restore_flags
- dev_reset_restore_flags
- and so on...

seems sufficient, at least in my opinion.