* Re: [dpdk-dev] active_backup link bonding and mac address
@ 2017-05-12 14:31 Kyle Larose
From: Kyle Larose @ 2017-05-12 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users, dev; +Cc: declan.doherty

I'm adding the dev mailing list/link bonding maintainer, because I've done some more investigation and I'm beginning to think something is wrong.

I checked the mac address of the link bond interface after the failover, and it did not change.
It still had the MAC address of the first slave that was added. This seems incompatible with
solution number 1 that I suggested above, which means either it the link bond device should
update its address, or it should be promiscuous at the slave level.

FWIW, I'm using 16.07. I have reproduced this on testpmd by looking at port state. (with some
fiddling -- needed to prevent it from starting the slave interfaces, and turn off its default
promiscuous mode.)

Does anyone have any input on this problem?

Thanks,

Kyle

* Re: [dpdk-dev] active_backup link bonding and mac address
@ 2017-05-12 14:55 ` Declan Doherty
From: Declan Doherty @ 2017-05-12 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Larose, users, dev

On 12/05/2017 3:31 PM, Kyle Larose wrote:
> I'm adding the dev mailing list/link bonding maintainer, because I've done some more investigation and I'm beginning to think something is wrong.

Kyle, sorry I didn't see the post in the users list. I think the issue
is that the new primary is missing the bond MAC address on it's valid
MACs list, hence it is dropping the ingress packets after a fail-over
event, placing the all the slave devices into promiscuous mode as you
suggest in option 2 would probably make the issue go away but I don't
think it's the correct solution. I think we should just be adding the
bond MAC to each slaves devices valid MAC list. As only one bond slave
is only active at any time this won't cause any issues to the network,
and will mean that fail over is transparent to your application and
there is no need for MAC rewrites, which would invalidate existing ARP
table entries at downstream end points.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] active_backup link bonding and mac address
@ 2017-05-12 15:34   ` Kyle Larose
From: Kyle Larose @ 2017-05-12 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Declan Doherty, users, dev

Hey Declan,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I agree with your suggestion. Does this MAC list propagate to the slave NICs' hardware layers?
That is, even if a slave isn't in promiscuous mode, if it receives a frame addressed to any
MAC in its list, it will accept it and deliver it to the software? Or, does it mean we need to
put the slave into promiscuous mode, but filter any MACs not in its list (unless the bond
interface itself is in promiscuous mode)?

Thanks,

Kyle

* Re: [dpdk-dev] active_backup link bonding and mac address
@ 2017-05-12 15:46     ` Declan Doherty
From: Declan Doherty @ 2017-05-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Larose, users, dev

On 12/05/2017 4:34 PM, Kyle Larose wrote:

> [...]

Yes it would be into the hw tables, rte_eth_dev_mac_addr_add() on each
slave port should achieve this, so there will be no need to run in
promiscuous mode. I'll try and setup a test for this on Monday morning
in our lab.

Declan

* Re: [dpdk-dev] active_backup link bonding and mac address
@ 2017-05-12 19:02       ` Kyle Larose
From: Kyle Larose @ 2017-05-12 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)