From: Aravamudan Srivathsan <Srivathsan.Aravamudan@technicolor.com>
To: "Trahe, Fiona" <fiona.trahe@intel.com>, "dev@dpdk.org" <dev@dpdk.org>
Cc: "Doherty, Declan" <declan.doherty@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-dev] OpenSSL Cryptodev PMD and openssl engine
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 01:20:14 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for the reply.

I have a crypto device that is connected to PCI. It can do standard crypto operations like AES, DES, and so on.

I have openssl engine (a plugin) for this.

Our environment is

We have DPDK application for routing, forwarding, IPSec etc. (All routing and tunnelling)

We also have IoT application which would like to use the Openssl for doing some crypto operations.

My intention is

1. To use the existing openssl infrastructure (without writing the crypto PMD) to use the hardware acclearation.

2. Share the same device not only for doing the IPsec but also for doing crypto operations outside the DPDK EAL.

Yes the OpenSSL will have extra layer and do a copy of buffer, but the crypto operations will still happen in the driver.

Let me know if i make sense.

Srivathsan