* [dpdk-dev] checkpatch failing on map change
@ 2019-12-17  7:36 Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2019-12-17  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpdk-dev; +Cc: Thomas Monjalon, nhorman, stephen, Liron Himi

Hi,

One of our drivers is using the rte_cfgfile and meson is failing on 'rte_cfgfile_section_num_entries_by_index' which is undefined.

After a few debug cycles, I found out that this function is missing from the .map file.

So I added it and created a patch but  checkpatch is failing with

ERROR: symbol rte_cfgfile_section_num_entries_by_index is added in the DPDK_20.0 section, but is expected to be added in the EXPERIMENTAL section of the version map

Do you know what it means and how to fix it? The function is not defined as experimental so I don't understand what is the problem

Regards,
Liron

* Re: [dpdk-dev] checkpatch failing on map change
@ 2019-12-17  8:15 ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2019-12-17  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi, Cristian Dumitrescu
  Cc: dpdk-dev, Thomas Monjalon, nhorman, stephen

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 8:36 AM Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:
> One of our drivers is using the rte_cfgfile and meson is failing on 'rte_cfgfile_section_num_entries_by_index' which is undefined.
>
> After a few debug cycles, I found out that this function is missing from the .map file.
>
> So I added it and created a patch but  checkpatch is failing with
> ERROR: symbol rte_cfgfile_section_num_entries_by_index is added in the DPDK_20.0 section, but is expected to be added in the EXPERIMENTAL section of the version map
>
> Do you know what it means and how to fix it? The function is not defined as experimental so I don't understand what is the problem

Liron,

The script can't tell that the symbol that was added in the map file
is already part of the stable ABI: so it complains that a new symbol
should first be marked experimental.
But in this specific case, we can ignore the check.
You can send your patch to amend the map file.

Cristian,

Can you double check this library symbols to catch other unexported symbols?
A quick grep shows that rte_cfgfile_section_num_entries_by_index() is
not called in the current tree, we have no UT on it.
Maybe something to add.

Thanks.

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] [EXT] Re:  checkpatch failing on map change
@ 2019-12-17  8:21   ` Liron Himi
From: Liron Himi @ 2019-12-17  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Marchand, Cristian Dumitrescu
  Cc: dpdk-dev, Thomas Monjalon, nhorman, stephen, Liron Himi

Great. Thanks. Will send it soon

Regards,
Liron

@ 2019-12-17 16:23 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2019-12-17 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liron Himi; +Cc: dpdk-dev, Thomas Monjalon, nhorman

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 07:36:20 +0000
Liron Himi <lironh@marvell.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> One of our drivers is using the rte_cfgfile and meson is failing on 'rte_cfgfile_section_num_entries_by_index' which is undefined.
>
> After a few debug cycles, I found out that this function is missing from the .map file.
>
> So I added it and created a patch but  checkpatch is failing with
>

> ERROR: symbol rte_cfgfile_section_num_entries_by_index is added in the DPDK_20.0 section, but is expected to be added in the EXPERIMENTAL section of the version map
>

> Do you know what it means and how to fix it? The function is not defined as experimental so I don't understand what is the problem

It means checkpatch is not infallible. It is only an advisor.
In this case, it doesn't understand how to deal with a bug fix.