* [dpdk-dev] Armv8_crypto PMD future.
@ 2019-10-22 11:02 Akhil Goyal
From: Akhil Goyal @ 2019-10-22 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Honnappa Nagarahalli; +Cc: dev, Hemant Agrawal, Jerin Jacob, thomas

Hi Honnappa,

As per the comments received in
http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/60499/
http://patches.dpdk.org/patch/61013/

Marvell will no longer host the external library for the PMD.
We can have 2 possible solutions to this situation

  1.  Arm host it somewhere and let people contribute to that.
  2.  Integrate it inside DPDK repo.

Please send your suggestions/concerns.
Since this library provide huge performance improvements over conventional
Openssl. We should not remove it altogether.
We should find a way to host it somewhere.

Regards,
Akhil

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Armv8_crypto PMD future.
@ 2019-10-22 20:19 ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2019-10-22 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akhil.goyal@nxp.com
Thanks Akhil for helping make progress on this discussion.

Marvell will no longer host the external library for the PMD.
We can have 2 possible solutions to this situation

1. Arm host it somewhere and let people contribute to that.
2. Integrate it inside DPDK repo.
[Honnappa] I don't have any issues with the 2nd option.

@ 2019-10-23  6:40   ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2019-10-23  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Honnappa Nagarahalli; +Cc: Akhil.goyal@nxp.com, dev, hemant.agrawal, jerinj, nd

22/10/2019 22:19, Honnappa Nagarahalli:
> From: Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>
> > We can have 2 possible solutions to this situation
> >
> > 1. Arm host it somewhere and let people contribute to that.
> > 2. Integrate it inside DPDK repo.
>
> [Honnappa] I don't have any issues with the 2nd option.

So you want this code to be part of the PMD?
You think no other project would like to use such crypto code?
What are the export restrictions for this code?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Armv8_crypto PMD future.
@ 2019-10-23 14:32     ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2019-10-23 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas
  Cc: Akhil.goyal@nxp.com, dev, hemant.agrawal, jerinj,
	Honnappa Nagarahalli, nd, nd

<snip>

> 22/10/2019 22:19, Honnappa Nagarahalli:
> > From: Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>
> > > We can have 2 possible solutions to this situation
> > >
> > > 1. Arm host it somewhere and let people contribute to that.
> > > 2. Integrate it inside DPDK repo.
> >
> > [Honnappa] I don't have any issues with the 2nd option.
>
> So you want this code to be part of the PMD?
I have asked similar question in the patch email. If it is moving to DPDK, where in DPDK?

> You think no other project would like to use such crypto code?
I would say it depends on the library and what it offers. I definitely think it will be useful for other projects when it is fully developed. This is just my view, may be others have a different opinion. I believe we (Arm community) are trying to find a solution for the current problem. The solution can be a short term solution.

> What are the export restrictions for this code?
I am aware of the export restrictions around crypto code in general. I am not sure about these restrictions in DPDK's context.

I have a question here. If the library was broken (in whatever way) and nobody asked it to be fixed, I am wondering if it is getting used by anyone.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] Armv8_crypto PMD future.
@ 2019-10-23 17:19       ` Honnappa Nagarahalli
From: Honnappa Nagarahalli @ 2019-10-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas
  Cc: Akhil.goyal@nxp.com, dev, hemant.agrawal, jerinj, nd,
	Honnappa Nagarahalli, nd

> <snip>
>

> > 22/10/2019 22:19, Honnappa Nagarahalli:
> > > From: Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>

> > > [Honnappa] I don't have any issues with the 2nd option.
> >
> > So you want this code to be part of the PMD?
> I have asked similar question in the patch email. If it is moving to DPDK, where
> in DPDK?
>
> > You think no other project would like to use such crypto code?
> I would say it depends on the library and what it offers. I definitely think it will
> be useful for other projects when it is fully developed. This is just my view, may
> be others have a different opinion. I believe we (Arm community) are trying to
> find a solution for the current problem. The solution can be a short term
> solution.
>
> > What are the export restrictions for this code?
> I am aware of the export restrictions around crypto code in general. I am not
> sure about these restrictions in DPDK's context.
Can this be a 'hosted-project' (like pktgen, NFF-Go etc)? Are the 'hosted-projects' also subjected to export restrictions?