* Potential RTE bitset RFC
@ 2024-01-27 18:31 Mattias Rönnblom
From: Mattias Rönnblom @ 2024-01-27 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev; +Cc: Mattias Rönnblom, techboard

Hi.

The new timer RFC ("htimer") I submitted last year also included a new
bitset API.

https://patchwork.dpdk.org/project/dpdk/patch/20230315170342.214127-2-mattias.ronnblom@ericsson.com/

My experience is that multi-word bitsets are often useful. Examples from
DPDK are rte_service.c and DSW its "service ports" bitset (both have 64
as a hard upper limit). Small, but multi-word, bitsets are not
particularly hard to open-code, but then you end up with a lot of
duplication.

I wanted to ask if there is an interest in seeing a bitset API (as per
my patchset) in DPDK.

Upstreaming htimer, including having it replace today's rte_timer is
more work than I can commit to, so I think you won't get RTE bitset that
way any time soon.

Regards,
	Mattias