From: Pankaj Chauhan <pankaj.chauhan@nxp.com>
To: <yuanhan.liu@linux.intel.com>, <dev@dpdk.org>,
	<hemant.agrawal@nxp.com>, <shreyansh.jain@nxp.com>
Subject: [dpdk-dev] vhost [query] : support for multiple ports and non VMDQ devices in vhost switch
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 16:42:33 +0530	[thread overview]

Hi,

I am working on an NXP platform where we intend to use user space vhost
switch (examples/vhost) as backend for VIRTIO devices. But there are two
limitations in current vhost-switch (examples/vhost)that are restricting
my use case:

1. The vhost-switch application is tightly integrated with Intel VMDQ.
Since my device doesn't have VMDQ i can not use this application directly.

2. The vhost-switch application supports only one external or physical
port (non virtio devices), but my requirement is to have multiple
physical ports and multiple virtio devices.

In summary my requirement is to do whatever vhost-switch is doing, in
addition to that add support for following:

1. support devices that don't have VMDQ.
2. Support multiple physical ports.

I need suggestions on the approach i should take: whether to add support
of above mentioned in existing vhost-switch (examples/vhost) or write
another application (based on librte_vhost only) to support my requirements.

I'll work on it after the suggestion i get from the list, and send the
RFC patch.

Thanks,
Pankaj