DPDK community structure changes
From: Thomas Monjalon <thomas.monjalon@6wind.com>
To: "O'Driscoll, Tim" <tim.odriscoll@intel.com>
Cc: moving@dpdk.org, techboard@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] changes in the Technical Board
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:12:32 +0100	[thread overview]

2017-01-25 11:57, O'Driscoll, Tim:
> Next Meeting:
> Tuesday January 31st at 3pm GMT, 4pm CET, 10am EST, 7am PST. We can discuss any preliminary input that Mike has from his membership discussions, discuss the desired budget level, and hopefully get an update from the Tech Board on any changes they're planning to make.

I have provided some feedbacks from the Technical Board in the charter.
Please, could we discuss or approve them in the next meeting today?

We should also discuss about integrating the charter in the website.
I suggest creating a dedicated page dpdk.org/charter linked from
the "home" page and from the "about" page.

We also need to refresh the technical board description.
I suggest to move the section http://dpdk.org/dev#board to a dedicated page
dpdk.org/techboard linked from the "dev" page and from the "about" page.

Here is a first draft for the page dpdk.org/techboard:

The scope of this body is limited to the questions directly related
to the development in the following repositories:
	- dpdk.git
	- dpdk-stable.git
	- dpdk-next-*.git
	- dpdk-ci.git
	- dpdk-web.git

Members

The 9 current members of techboard@dpdk.org are:
	* Bruce Richardson
	* Hemant Agrawal
	* Jan Blunck
	* Jerin Jacob
	* Konstantin Ananyev
	* Olivier Matz
	* Stephen Hemminger
	* Thomas Monjalon
	* Yuanhan Liu

Renewal

Technical Board positions are held by individuals, not companies.
However, employees of a single company should not occupy more than 40% of board seats.
It can be decided to remove a member if there is an approval of 2/3 of the whole Technical Board.
It can be decided either to replace the member, or to redefine the size of the board.
There will be some renewal when it will be felt as needed.

Meetings

A short meeting happens on IRC every two weeks.
The quorum required for a meeting to proceed is a 70% majority of the Technical Board.
Any contributor can ask to add a topic in the agenda by sending an email
to techboard@dpdk.org.
The board members will add any topic of interest in the agenda.

Roles

The new project repositories must be approved by the Technical Board,
while applying the non-technical criteria defined by the Governing Board.
If a technical discussion lacks of explanation, details or evidence, it will
be asked on the mailing list.
If a patch does not receive any or enough comment, the board will help to make it
progressing on the mailing list.
If there is no consensus in a discussion, a decision can be taken by the
Technical Board and explained on the mailing list.
For a vote to be passed, a majority (> 50%) of the total Technical Board is required
(not just a majority of those in attendance at the meeting).
In the event of a deadlock the Technical Board Chair shall have the casting vote.

Feedback

Minutes are sent to dev@dpdk.org so anyone can comment.
However, the technical discussions should happen in the original thread.