DPDK community structure changes
 help / color / Atom feed
* [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
@ 2017-01-11 12:21 Vincent JARDIN
  2017-01-11 15:12 ` Michael Dolan
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2017-01-11 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dolan; +Cc: O'driscoll, Tim, moving

Mike,

Following yesterday's call, the LF's website
   https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws
includes the fees.

Platinum
     US$ 500,000
Gold
     US$ 100,000
Silver
     US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)
     US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)
     US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)
     US$ 5,000 (employee size <100)

There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).

It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:
   -   Annual's LF fee (see the bylaws)
   - + Annual's DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)
   - + Annual's DPDK lab fee (TBD)
  (- + DPDK events)

Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.

Thank you,
   Vincent

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-11 12:21 [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees Vincent JARDIN
@ 2017-01-11 15:12 ` Michael Dolan
  2017-01-17 14:16   ` Jaswinder Singh
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Michael Dolan @ 2017-01-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent JARDIN; +Cc: O'driscoll, Tim, moving

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3278 bytes --]

Hi Vincent, there's the Annual LF membership fee and the Annual DPDK
participation fee. If a company is already an LF member, then there's no LF
membership fee and it's just the annual DPDK participation fee.

As I understand it there's been discussion that the DPDK Governing Board
might want to setup a test lab. I have no idea what the requirements or
cost of that would be and if it would be managed by a member (or members)
or the LF. Some projects have a member who steps up to run infrastructure
for a project, and some want it in the community's control. We don't care
where/how it's done but if the LF is asked to do it, we have to cover our
costs.

Regarding a lab, this group should also consider that FD.io already has a
test lab that does what I'm guessing the DPDK community wants - it would
seem to me a huge waste to have largely the same companies setup two labs
doing the same thing. This was a big part of my original suggestion of just
working on DPDK under FD.io, but as I understand it some were uncomfortable
with that. I'm not aware of the issues, but objectively looking at this
from a distance I still think that would be a very wise option to consider.
The infrastructure, the organization, funding and membership are already
there and I think DPDK could operate fairly well on its own with perhaps
some changes to the technical governance if there are concerns. I'll leave
my suggestion at that for now, but I know the people funding these projects
are not going to be pleased to hear they're being asked to fund two nearly
identical projects. If not merging the projects, then perhaps consider at
least splitting the cost of infrastructure or a test lab...

As for events, if the Governing Board decides to host an event, some
projects pay for events out of the membership fees and that's it, some have
sponsorships or attendance fees. That's all up to the group that makes the
decision.

The LF has no individual "membership". We have individual supporters (
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters) but that's
not the same as the legal standing of a member. We do also have an
associate membership for nonprofits, government agencies, and education
institutions.

I hope this helps clarify,

Mike



---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdolan@linuxfoundation.org
---

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com>
wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Following yesterday's call, the LF's website
>   https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws
> includes the fees.
>
> Platinum
>     US$ 500,000
> Gold
>     US$ 100,000
> Silver
>     US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)
>     US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)
>     US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)
>     US$ 5,000 (employee size <100)
>
> There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).
>
> It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:
>   -   Annual's LF fee (see the bylaws)
>   - + Annual's DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)
>   - + Annual's DPDK lab fee (TBD)
>  (- + DPDK events)
>
> Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.
>
> Thank you,
>   Vincent
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 4465 bytes --]

<div dir="ltr">Hi Vincent, there&#39;s the Annual LF membership fee and the Annual DPDK participation fee. If a company is already an LF member, then there&#39;s no LF membership fee and it&#39;s just the annual DPDK participation fee.<div><br></div><div>As I understand it there&#39;s been discussion that the DPDK Governing Board might want to setup a test lab. I have no idea what the requirements or cost of that would be and if it would be managed by a member (or members) or the LF. Some projects have a member who steps up to run infrastructure for a project, and some want it in the community&#39;s control. We don&#39;t care where/how it&#39;s done but if the LF is asked to do it, we have to cover our costs. </div><div><br></div><div>Regarding a lab, this group should also consider that FD.io already has a test lab that does what I&#39;m guessing the DPDK community wants - it would seem to me a huge waste to have largely the same companies setup two labs doing the same thing. This was a big part of my original suggestion of just working on DPDK under FD.io, but as I understand it some were uncomfortable with that. I&#39;m not aware of the issues, but objectively looking at this from a distance I still think that would be a very wise option to consider. The infrastructure, the organization, funding and membership are already there and I think DPDK could operate fairly well on its own with perhaps some changes to the technical governance if there are concerns. I&#39;ll leave my suggestion at that for now, but I know the people funding these projects are not going to be pleased to hear they&#39;re being asked to fund two nearly identical projects. If not merging the projects, then perhaps consider at least splitting the cost of infrastructure or a test lab...</div><div><br></div><div>As for events, if the Governing Board decides to host an event, some projects pay for events out of the membership fees and that&#39;s it, some have sponsorships or attendance fees. That&#39;s all up to the group that makes the decision. </div><div><br></div><div>The LF has no individual &quot;membership&quot;. We have individual supporters (<a href="https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters">https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters</a>) but that&#39;s not the same as the legal standing of a member. We do also have an associate membership for nonprofits, government agencies, and education institutions.</div><div><br></div><div>I hope this helps clarify,</div><div><br></div><div>Mike</div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br clear="all"><div><div class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr">







<p><font size="2">---<br>Mike Dolan<br>VP of Strategic Programs<br>The Linux Foundation<br>Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan<br><a href="mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org" target="_blank">mdolan@linuxfoundation.org</a><br>---</font></p></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>
<br><div class="gmail_quote">On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Vincent JARDIN <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:vincent.jardin@6wind.com" target="_blank">vincent.jardin@6wind.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Mike,<br>
<br>
Following yesterday&#39;s call, the LF&#39;s website<br>
  <a href="https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.linuxfoundation.or<wbr>g/about/bylaws</a><br>
includes the fees.<br>
<br>
Platinum<br>
    US$ 500,000<br>
Gold<br>
    US$ 100,000<br>
Silver<br>
    US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)<br>
    US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)<br>
    US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)<br>
    US$ 5,000 (employee size &lt;100)<br>
<br>
There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).<br>
<br>
It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:<br>
  -   Annual&#39;s LF fee (see the bylaws)<br>
  - + Annual&#39;s DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)<br>
  - + Annual&#39;s DPDK lab fee (TBD)<br>
 (- + DPDK events)<br>
<br>
Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.<br>
<br>
Thank you,<br>
  Vincent<br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-11 15:12 ` Michael Dolan
@ 2017-01-17 14:16   ` Jaswinder Singh
  2017-01-17 20:10     ` Ed Warnicke
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Jaswinder Singh @ 2017-01-17 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw)
  Cc: O'driscoll, Tim, moving, Vincent JARDIN

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3820 bytes --]

Ed,

Do you see any issues in DPDK-project re-using FD.IO …Lab/CI infrastructure.

This can save some dollars for all the participating companies.

-Jaswinder

From: moving [mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Michael Dolan
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:43 PM
To: Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com>
Cc: O'driscoll, Tim <tim.o'driscoll@intel.com>; moving@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees

Hi Vincent, there's the Annual LF membership fee and the Annual DPDK participation fee. If a company is already an LF member, then there's no LF membership fee and it's just the annual DPDK participation fee.

As I understand it there's been discussion that the DPDK Governing Board might want to setup a test lab. I have no idea what the requirements or cost of that would be and if it would be managed by a member (or members) or the LF. Some projects have a member who steps up to run infrastructure for a project, and some want it in the community's control. We don't care where/how it's done but if the LF is asked to do it, we have to cover our costs.

Regarding a lab, this group should also consider that FD.io already has a test lab that does what I'm guessing the DPDK community wants - it would seem to me a huge waste to have largely the same companies setup two labs doing the same thing. This was a big part of my original suggestion of just working on DPDK under FD.io, but as I understand it some were uncomfortable with that. I'm not aware of the issues, but objectively looking at this from a distance I still think that would be a very wise option to consider. The infrastructure, the organization, funding and membership are already there and I think DPDK could operate fairly well on its own with perhaps some changes to the technical governance if there are concerns. I'll leave my suggestion at that for now, but I know the people funding these projects are not going to be pleased to hear they're being asked to fund two nearly identical projects. If not merging the projects, then perhaps consider at least splitting the cost of infrastructure or a test lab...

As for events, if the Governing Board decides to host an event, some projects pay for events out of the membership fees and that's it, some have sponsorships or attendance fees. That's all up to the group that makes the decision.

The LF has no individual "membership". We have individual supporters (https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters) but that's not the same as the legal standing of a member. We do also have an associate membership for nonprofits, government agencies, and education institutions.

I hope this helps clarify,

Mike




---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdolan@linuxfoundation.org<mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org>
---

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com<mailto:vincent.jardin@6wind.com>> wrote:
Mike,

Following yesterday's call, the LF's website
  https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws
includes the fees.

Platinum
    US$ 500,000
Gold
    US$ 100,000
Silver
    US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)
    US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)
    US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)
    US$ 5,000 (employee size <100)

There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).

It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:
  -   Annual's LF fee (see the bylaws)
  - + Annual's DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)
  - + Annual's DPDK lab fee (TBD)
 (- + DPDK events)

Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.

Thank you,
  Vincent


[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 8973 bytes --]

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Verdana;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Verdana",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang="EN-US" link="blue" vlink="purple">
<div class="WordSection1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D">Ed,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D">Do you see any issues in DPDK-project re-using FD.IO …Lab/CI infrastructure.
<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D">This can save some dollars for all the participating companies.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D">-Jaswinder<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">From:</span></b><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif"> moving [mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org]
<b>On Behalf Of </b>Michael Dolan<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:43 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> Vincent JARDIN &lt;vincent.jardin@6wind.com&gt;<br>
<b>Cc:</b> O'driscoll, Tim &lt;tim.o'driscoll@intel.com&gt;; moving@dpdk.org<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK &#43; Linux Foundation - summary of fees<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">Hi Vincent, there's the Annual LF membership fee and the Annual DPDK participation fee. If a company is already an LF member, then there's no LF membership fee and it's just the annual DPDK participation fee.<o:p></o:p></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">As I understand it there's been discussion that the DPDK Governing Board might want to setup a test lab. I have no idea what the requirements or cost of that would be and if it would be managed by a member (or members) or the LF. Some projects
 have a member who steps up to run infrastructure for a project, and some want it in the community's control. We don't care where/how it's done but if the LF is asked to do it, we have to cover our costs.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">Regarding a lab, this group should also consider that FD.io already has a test lab that does what I'm guessing the DPDK community wants - it would seem to me a huge waste to have largely the same companies setup two labs doing the same
 thing. This was a big part of my original suggestion of just working on DPDK under FD.io, but as I understand it some were uncomfortable with that. I'm not aware of the issues, but objectively looking at this from a distance I still think that would be a very
 wise option to consider. The infrastructure, the organization, funding and membership are already there and I think DPDK could operate fairly well on its own with perhaps some changes to the technical governance if there are concerns. I'll leave my suggestion
 at that for now, but I know the people funding these projects are not going to be pleased to hear they're being asked to fund two nearly identical projects. If not merging the projects, then perhaps consider at least splitting the cost of infrastructure or
 a test lab...<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">As for events, if the Governing Board decides to host an event, some projects pay for events out of the membership fees and that's it, some have sponsorships or attendance fees. That's all up to the group that makes the decision.&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">The LF has no individual &quot;membership&quot;. We have individual supporters (<a href="https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters">https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters</a>)&nbsp;but that's not the same as
 the legal standing of a member. We do also have an associate membership for nonprofits, government agencies, and education institutions.<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">I hope this helps clarify,<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">Mike<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><br clear="all">
<o:p></o:p></p>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p><span style="font-size:10.0pt">---<br>
Mike Dolan<br>
VP of Strategic Programs<br>
The Linux Foundation<br>
Office: &#43;1.330.460.3250 &nbsp;&nbsp;Cell: &#43;1.440.552.5322 &nbsp;Skype: michaelkdolan<br>
<a href="mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org" target="_blank">mdolan@linuxfoundation.org</a><br>
---</span><o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Vincent JARDIN &lt;<a href="mailto:vincent.jardin@6wind.com" target="_blank">vincent.jardin@6wind.com</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
<blockquote style="border:none;border-left:solid #CCCCCC 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in">
<p class="MsoNormal">Mike,<br>
<br>
Following yesterday's call, the LF's website<br>
&nbsp; <a href="https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws" target="_blank">https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws</a><br>
includes the fees.<br>
<br>
Platinum<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; US$ 500,000<br>
Gold<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; US$ 100,000<br>
Silver<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)<br>
&nbsp; &nbsp; US$ 5,000 (employee size &lt;100)<br>
<br>
There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).<br>
<br>
It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:<br>
&nbsp; -&nbsp; &nbsp;Annual's LF fee (see the bylaws)<br>
&nbsp; - &#43; Annual's DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)<br>
&nbsp; - &#43; Annual's DPDK lab fee (TBD)<br>
&nbsp;(- &#43; DPDK events)<br>
<br>
Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.<br>
<br>
Thank you,<br>
&nbsp; Vincent<o:p></o:p></p>
</blockquote>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-17 14:16   ` Jaswinder Singh
@ 2017-01-17 20:10     ` Ed Warnicke
  2017-01-17 22:28       ` O'Driscoll, Tim
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Ed Warnicke @ 2017-01-17 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw),
	O'driscoll, Tim, moving, Vincent JARDIN

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4759 bytes --]

Jaswinder,

The fd.io infrastructure is for use by fd.io projects.

DPDK would be welcome as a fd.io project.

If the goal is for DPDK to move somewhere neutral and open with best of
breed governance and resourcing for open CI then becoming a fd.io project
might be the simplest route.   Most of the participants in discussions
around DPDK moving are already fd.io members.

fd.io’s governance is compatible with what we have been discussing.  Should
DPDK join fd.io it would, as all fd.io projects, maintain its own internal
technical governance.

Ed

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:16 AM, Jaswinder Singh <jaswinder.singh@nxp.com>
wrote:

> Ed,
>
>
>
> Do you see any issues in DPDK-project re-using FD.IO …Lab/CI
> infrastructure.
>
>
>
> This can save some dollars for all the participating companies.
>
>
>
> -Jaswinder
>
>
>
> *From:* moving [mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org] *On Behalf Of *Michael
> Dolan
> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:43 PM
> *To:* Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com>
> *Cc:* O'driscoll, Tim <tim.o'driscoll@intel.com>; moving@dpdk.org
> *Subject:* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
>
>
>
> Hi Vincent, there's the Annual LF membership fee and the Annual DPDK
> participation fee. If a company is already an LF member, then there's no LF
> membership fee and it's just the annual DPDK participation fee.
>
>
>
> As I understand it there's been discussion that the DPDK Governing Board
> might want to setup a test lab. I have no idea what the requirements or
> cost of that would be and if it would be managed by a member (or members)
> or the LF. Some projects have a member who steps up to run infrastructure
> for a project, and some want it in the community's control. We don't care
> where/how it's done but if the LF is asked to do it, we have to cover our
> costs.
>
>
>
> Regarding a lab, this group should also consider that FD.io already has a
> test lab that does what I'm guessing the DPDK community wants - it would
> seem to me a huge waste to have largely the same companies setup two labs
> doing the same thing. This was a big part of my original suggestion of just
> working on DPDK under FD.io, but as I understand it some were uncomfortable
> with that. I'm not aware of the issues, but objectively looking at this
> from a distance I still think that would be a very wise option to consider.
> The infrastructure, the organization, funding and membership are already
> there and I think DPDK could operate fairly well on its own with perhaps
> some changes to the technical governance if there are concerns. I'll leave
> my suggestion at that for now, but I know the people funding these projects
> are not going to be pleased to hear they're being asked to fund two nearly
> identical projects. If not merging the projects, then perhaps consider at
> least splitting the cost of infrastructure or a test lab...
>
>
>
> As for events, if the Governing Board decides to host an event, some
> projects pay for events out of the membership fees and that's it, some have
> sponsorships or attendance fees. That's all up to the group that makes the
> decision.
>
>
>
> The LF has no individual "membership". We have individual supporters (
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters) but that's
> not the same as the legal standing of a member. We do also have an
> associate membership for nonprofits, government agencies, and education
> institutions.
>
>
>
> I hope this helps clarify,
>
>
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---
> Mike Dolan
> VP of Strategic Programs
> The Linux Foundation
> Office: +1.330.460.3250 <(330)%20460-3250>   Cell: +1.440.552.5322
> <(440)%20552-5322>  Skype: michaelkdolan
> mdolan@linuxfoundation.org
> ---
>
>
>
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Vincent JARDIN <vincent.jardin@6wind.com>
> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> Following yesterday's call, the LF's website
>   https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws
> includes the fees.
>
> Platinum
>     US$ 500,000
> Gold
>     US$ 100,000
> Silver
>     US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)
>     US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)
>     US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)
>     US$ 5,000 (employee size <100)
>
> There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).
>
> It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:
>   -   Annual's LF fee (see the bylaws)
>   - + Annual's DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)
>   - + Annual's DPDK lab fee (TBD)
>  (- + DPDK events)
>
> Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.
>
> Thank you,
>   Vincent
>
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 9017 bytes --]

<div dir="ltr">Jaswinder,<div><br></div><div><div>The <a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a> infrastructure is for use by <a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a> projects.  </div><div><br></div><div>DPDK would be welcome as a <a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a> project.</div><div><br></div><div>If the goal is for DPDK to move somewhere neutral and open with best of breed governance and resourcing for open CI then becoming a <a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a> project might be the simplest route.   Most of the participants in discussions around DPDK moving are already <a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a> members.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a>’s governance is compatible with what we have been discussing.  Should DPDK join <a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a> it would, as all <a href="http://fd.io">fd.io</a> projects, maintain its own internal technical governance.</div></div><div><br></div><div>Ed</div></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:16 AM, Jaswinder Singh <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:jaswinder.singh@nxp.com" target="_blank">jaswinder.singh@nxp.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">





<div lang="EN-US" link="blue" vlink="purple">
<div class="m_-3560787634931533620WordSection1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d">Ed,<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d">Do you see any issues in DPDK-project re-using <a href="http://FD.IO" target="_blank">FD.IO</a> …Lab/CI infrastructure.
<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d">This can save some dollars for all the participating companies.<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d">-Jaswinder<u></u><u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Verdana&quot;,sans-serif;color:#1f497d"><u></u> <u></u></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif">From:</span></b><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,sans-serif"> moving [mailto:<a href="mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org" target="_blank">moving-bounces@dpdk.<wbr>org</a>]
<b>On Behalf Of </b>Michael Dolan<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, January 11, 2017 8:43 PM<br>
<b>To:</b> Vincent JARDIN &lt;<a href="mailto:vincent.jardin@6wind.com" target="_blank">vincent.jardin@6wind.com</a>&gt;<br>
<b>Cc:</b> O&#39;driscoll, Tim &lt;<a href="mailto:tim.o%27driscoll@intel.com" target="_blank">tim.o&#39;driscoll@intel.com</a>&gt;; <a href="mailto:moving@dpdk.org" target="_blank">moving@dpdk.org</a><br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees<u></u><u></u></span></p><div><div class="h5">
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">Hi Vincent, there&#39;s the Annual LF membership fee and the Annual DPDK participation fee. If a company is already an LF member, then there&#39;s no LF membership fee and it&#39;s just the annual DPDK participation fee.<u></u><u></u></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">As I understand it there&#39;s been discussion that the DPDK Governing Board might want to setup a test lab. I have no idea what the requirements or cost of that would be and if it would be managed by a member (or members) or the LF. Some projects
 have a member who steps up to run infrastructure for a project, and some want it in the community&#39;s control. We don&#39;t care where/how it&#39;s done but if the LF is asked to do it, we have to cover our costs. <u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">Regarding a lab, this group should also consider that FD.io already has a test lab that does what I&#39;m guessing the DPDK community wants - it would seem to me a huge waste to have largely the same companies setup two labs doing the same
 thing. This was a big part of my original suggestion of just working on DPDK under FD.io, but as I understand it some were uncomfortable with that. I&#39;m not aware of the issues, but objectively looking at this from a distance I still think that would be a very
 wise option to consider. The infrastructure, the organization, funding and membership are already there and I think DPDK could operate fairly well on its own with perhaps some changes to the technical governance if there are concerns. I&#39;ll leave my suggestion
 at that for now, but I know the people funding these projects are not going to be pleased to hear they&#39;re being asked to fund two nearly identical projects. If not merging the projects, then perhaps consider at least splitting the cost of infrastructure or
 a test lab...<u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">As for events, if the Governing Board decides to host an event, some projects pay for events out of the membership fees and that&#39;s it, some have sponsorships or attendance fees. That&#39;s all up to the group that makes the decision. <u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">The LF has no individual &quot;membership&quot;. We have individual supporters (<a href="https://www.linuxfoundation.org/members/individual-supporters" target="_blank">https://www.linuxfoundation.<wbr>org/members/individual-<wbr>supporters</a>) but that&#39;s not the same as
 the legal standing of a member. We do also have an associate membership for nonprofits, government agencies, and education institutions.<u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">I hope this helps clarify,<u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">Mike<u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><br clear="all">
<u></u><u></u></p>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p><span style="font-size:10.0pt">---<br>
Mike Dolan<br>
VP of Strategic Programs<br>
The Linux Foundation<br>
Office: <a href="tel:(330)%20460-3250" value="+13304603250" target="_blank">+1.330.460.3250</a>   Cell: <a href="tel:(440)%20552-5322" value="+14405525322" target="_blank">+1.440.552.5322</a>  Skype: michaelkdolan<br>
<a href="mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org" target="_blank">mdolan@linuxfoundation.org</a><br>
---</span><u></u><u></u></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Vincent JARDIN &lt;<a href="mailto:vincent.jardin@6wind.com" target="_blank">vincent.jardin@6wind.com</a>&gt; wrote:<u></u><u></u></p>
<blockquote style="border:none;border-left:solid #cccccc 1.0pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6.0pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in">
<p class="MsoNormal">Mike,<br>
<br>
Following yesterday&#39;s call, the LF&#39;s website<br>
  <a href="https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/bylaws" target="_blank">https://www.linuxfoundation.<wbr>org/about/bylaws</a><br>
includes the fees.<br>
<br>
Platinum<br>
    US$ 500,000<br>
Gold<br>
    US$ 100,000<br>
Silver<br>
    US$ 20,000 (employee size greater than 5,000)<br>
    US$ 15,000 (employee size between 500 and 4,999)<br>
    US$ 10,000 (employee size between 100 and 499)<br>
    US$ 5,000 (employee size &lt;100)<br>
<br>
There is no option for individuals (I do not know it it makes sense).<br>
<br>
It is understood that there are three annual fees for DPDK to be cumulated:<br>
  -   Annual&#39;s LF fee (see the bylaws)<br>
  - + Annual&#39;s DPDK fee (TBD for both levels)<br>
  - + Annual&#39;s DPDK lab fee (TBD)<br>
 (- + DPDK events)<br>
<br>
Feel free to correct if I am mis-interpreting something.<br>
<br>
Thank you,<br>
  Vincent<u></u><u></u></p>
</blockquote>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><u></u> <u></u></p>
</div>
</div></div></div>
</div>

</blockquote></div><br></div>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-17 20:10     ` Ed Warnicke
@ 2017-01-17 22:28       ` O'Driscoll, Tim
  2017-01-17 23:46         ` Vincent JARDIN
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2017-01-17 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Warnicke, Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw), moving, Vincent JARDIN


> From: Ed Warnicke [mailto:hagbard@gmail.com] 
>
> Jaswinder,
>
> The fd.io infrastructure is for use by fd.io projects.  
>
> DPDK would be welcome as a fd.io project.
>
> If the goal is for DPDK to move somewhere neutral and open with best of breed governance and resourcing for open CI then becoming a fd.io project might be the simplest route.   Most of the participants in discussions around DPDK moving are already fd.io members.
>
> fd.io’s governance is compatible with what we have been discussing.  Should DPDK join fd.io it would, as all fd.io projects, maintain its own internal technical governance.

We discussed this in Dublin. There was a strong preference for keeping DPDK as an independent project. Dave summarized this in the minutes:

"I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io, OVS, and
OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.

Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
for a stand-alone lightweight project"


Tim

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-17 22:28       ` O'Driscoll, Tim
@ 2017-01-17 23:46         ` Vincent JARDIN
  2017-01-18 17:11           ` George Zhao
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Vincent JARDIN @ 2017-01-17 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke, Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw), moving

Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :
> "I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
> project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
> changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io, OVS, and
> OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.
>
> Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
> for a stand-alone lightweight project"

+1 too

DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful 
model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a 
reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato, 
etc.) on any HW.

Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because 
of a strong intent to be agnostic.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-17 23:46         ` Vincent JARDIN
@ 2017-01-18 17:11           ` George Zhao
  2017-01-18 17:14             ` Michael Dolan
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: George Zhao @ 2017-01-18 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent JARDIN, O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke, Jaswinder Singh
  Cc: Michael Dolan, Ed Warnicke (eaw), moving

Question: Will there be a f2f discussion of this topic during Open source leadership summit by Linux foundation?

Thanks,
George

-----Original Message-----
From: moving [mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Vincent JARDIN
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM
To: O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh
Cc: Michael Dolan; Ed Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees

Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :
> "I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
> project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
> changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io, OVS, and
> OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.
>
> Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
> for a stand-alone lightweight project"

+1 too

DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful 
model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a 
reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato, 
etc.) on any HW.

Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because 
of a strong intent to be agnostic.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-18 17:11           ` George Zhao
@ 2017-01-18 17:14             ` Michael Dolan
  2017-01-18 17:19               ` George Zhao
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: Michael Dolan @ 2017-01-18 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Zhao
  Cc: Vincent JARDIN, O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke,
	Jaswinder Singh, Ed Warnicke (eaw),
	moving

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1652 bytes --]

I can explore finding a room if there will be enough people present. Who
plans to be there?

---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdolan@linuxfoundation.org
---

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, George Zhao <George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com>
wrote:

> Question: Will there be a f2f discussion of this topic during Open source
> leadership summit by Linux foundation?
>
> Thanks,
> George
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: moving [mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Vincent JARDIN
> Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM
> To: O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh
> Cc: Michael Dolan; Ed Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org
> Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
>
> Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :
> > "I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
> > project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
> > changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io, OVS, and
> > OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.
> >
> > Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
> > for a stand-alone lightweight project"
>
> +1 too
>
> DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful
> model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a
> reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato,
> etc.) on any HW.
>
> Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because
> of a strong intent to be agnostic.
>
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2618 bytes --]

<div dir="ltr">I can explore finding a room if there will be enough people present. Who plans to be there?</div><div class="gmail_extra"><br clear="all"><div><div class="gmail_signature" data-smartmail="gmail_signature"><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr"><div><div dir="ltr">







<p><font size="2">---<br>Mike Dolan<br>VP of Strategic Programs<br>The Linux Foundation<br>Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan<br><a href="mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org" target="_blank">mdolan@linuxfoundation.org</a><br>---</font></p></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>
<br><div class="gmail_quote">On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, George Zhao <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com" target="_blank">George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Question: Will there be a f2f discussion of this topic during Open source leadership summit by Linux foundation?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
George<br>
<span class="im HOEnZb"><br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: moving [mailto:<a href="mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org">moving-bounces@dpdk.<wbr>org</a>] On Behalf Of Vincent JARDIN<br>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM<br>
To: O&#39;Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh<br>
Cc: Michael Dolan; Ed Warnicke (eaw); <a href="mailto:moving@dpdk.org">moving@dpdk.org</a><br>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees<br>
<br>
</span><div class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5">Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O&#39;Driscoll, Tim a écrit :<br>
&gt; &quot;I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the<br>
&gt; project, and we don&#39;t want to see the community disrupted with toolset<br>
&gt; changes - and it&#39;s possible to work with projects like <a href="http://fd.io" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">fd.io</a>, OVS, and<br>
&gt; OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference<br>
&gt; for a stand-alone lightweight project&quot;<br>
<br>
+1 too<br>
<br>
DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful<br>
model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a<br>
reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato,<br>
etc.) on any HW.<br>
<br>
Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because<br>
of a strong intent to be agnostic.<br>
<br>
<br>
</div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-18 17:14             ` Michael Dolan
@ 2017-01-18 17:19               ` George Zhao
  2017-01-18 18:47                 ` Vincent Jardin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 10+ messages in thread
From: George Zhao @ 2017-01-18 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dolan
  Cc: Vincent JARDIN, O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke,
	Jaswinder Singh, Ed Warnicke (eaw),
	moving

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2067 bytes --]

Cool,  count me in if we have quorum.

George

From: Michael Dolan [mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:15 AM
To: George Zhao
Cc: Vincent JARDIN; O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh; Ed Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees

I can explore finding a room if there will be enough people present. Who plans to be there?


---
Mike Dolan
VP of Strategic Programs
The Linux Foundation
Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
mdolan@linuxfoundation.org<mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org>
---

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, George Zhao <George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com<mailto:George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com>> wrote:
Question: Will there be a f2f discussion of this topic during Open source leadership summit by Linux foundation?

Thanks,
George

-----Original Message-----
From: moving [mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org<mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org>] On Behalf Of Vincent JARDIN
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM
To: O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh
Cc: Michael Dolan; Ed Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org<mailto:moving@dpdk.org>
Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :
> "I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
> project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
> changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io<http://fd.io>, OVS, and
> OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.
>
> Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
> for a stand-alone lightweight project"

+1 too

DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful
model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a
reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato,
etc.) on any HW.

Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because
of a strong intent to be agnostic.



[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 6139 bytes --]

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12 (filtered medium)">
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:SimSun;
	panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"\@SimSun";
	panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.im
	{mso-style-name:im;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>
<body lang="EN-US" link="blue" vlink="purple">
<div class="WordSection1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Cool,&nbsp; count me in if we have quorum.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">George<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<div style="border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
<p class="MsoNormal"><b><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">From:</span></b><span style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;"> Michael Dolan [mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org]
<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:15 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> George Zhao<br>
<b>Cc:</b> Vincent JARDIN; O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh; Ed Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK &#43; Linux Foundation - summary of fees<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">I can explore finding a room if there will be enough people present. Who plans to be there?<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><br clear="all">
<o:p></o:p></p>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p><span style="font-size:10.0pt">---<br>
Mike Dolan<br>
VP of Strategic Programs<br>
The Linux Foundation<br>
Office: &#43;1.330.460.3250 &nbsp;&nbsp;Cell: &#43;1.440.552.5322 &nbsp;Skype: michaelkdolan<br>
<a href="mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org" target="_blank">mdolan@linuxfoundation.org</a><br>
---</span><o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, George Zhao &lt;<a href="mailto:George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com" target="_blank">George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Question: Will there be a f2f discussion of this topic during Open source leadership summit by Linux foundation?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
George<br>
<br>
<span class="im">-----Original Message-----</span><br>
<span class="im">From: moving [mailto:<a href="mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org">moving-bounces@dpdk.org</a>] On Behalf Of Vincent JARDIN</span><br>
<span class="im">Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM</span><br>
<span class="im">To: O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh</span><br>
<span class="im">Cc: Michael Dolan; Ed Warnicke (eaw); <a href="mailto:moving@dpdk.org">
moving@dpdk.org</a></span><br>
<span class="im">Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK &#43; Linux Foundation - summary of fees</span><o:p></o:p></p>
<div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :<br>
&gt; &quot;I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the<br>
&gt; project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset<br>
&gt; changes - and it's possible to work with projects like <a href="http://fd.io" target="_blank">
fd.io</a>, OVS, and<br>
&gt; OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference<br>
&gt; for a stand-alone lightweight project&quot;<br>
<br>
&#43;1 too<br>
<br>
DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful<br>
model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a<br>
reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato,<br>
etc.) on any HW.<br>
<br>
Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because<br>
of a strong intent to be agnostic.<br>
<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
  2017-01-18 17:19               ` George Zhao
@ 2017-01-18 18:47                 ` Vincent Jardin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 10+ messages in thread
From: Vincent Jardin @ 2017-01-18 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Zhao, Michael Dolan
  Cc: O'Driscoll, Tim, Ed Warnicke, Jaswinder Singh,
	Ed Warnicke (eaw),
	moving

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2334 bytes --]

No, it will fragment again and even more the communications. Please, use 
this mailing list if you need to voice some arguments.


Le 18 janvier 2017 6:20:07 PM George Zhao <George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com> a écrit :

> Cool,  count me in if we have quorum.
>
> George
>
> From: Michael Dolan [mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:15 AM
> To: George Zhao
> Cc: Vincent JARDIN; O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh; Ed 
> Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org
> Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
>
> I can explore finding a room if there will be enough people present. Who 
> plans to be there?
>
>
> ---
> Mike Dolan
> VP of Strategic Programs
> The Linux Foundation
> Office: +1.330.460.3250   Cell: +1.440.552.5322  Skype: michaelkdolan
> mdolan@linuxfoundation.org<mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org>
> ---
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, George Zhao 
> <George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com<mailto:George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com>> wrote:
> Question: Will there be a f2f discussion of this topic during Open source 
> leadership summit by Linux foundation?
>
> Thanks,
> George
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: moving 
> [mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org<mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org>] On Behalf 
> Of Vincent JARDIN
> Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM
> To: O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh
> Cc: Michael Dolan; Ed Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org<mailto:moving@dpdk.org>
> Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees
> Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28, O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :
>> "I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the
>> project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset
>> changes - and it's possible to work with projects like fd.io<http://fd.io>, 
>> OVS, and
>> OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.
>>
>> Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a preference
>> for a stand-alone lightweight project"
>
> +1 too
>
> DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful
> model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a
> reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato,
> etc.) on any HW.
>
> Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because
> of a strong intent to be agnostic.
>
>

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 6176 bytes --]

<html>
<head>
<style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:SimSun;
	panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"\@SimSun";
	panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}
span.im
	{mso-style-name:im;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->


</head>
<body>
<div style="color: black;">
<div style="color: black;">
<p style="margin: 0 0 1em 0; color: black;">No, it will fragment again and
even more the communications. Please, use this mailing list if you need to
voice some arguments. </p>
</div>
<div style="color: black;">
<p
style="color: black; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; margin: 10pt 0;">Le
18 janvier 2017 6:20:07 PM George Zhao &lt;George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com&gt; a
écrit :</p>
<blockquote type="cite" class="gmail_quote"
style="margin: 0 0 0 0.75ex; border-left: 1px solid #808080; padding-left: 0.75ex;">
<div class="WordSection1">
<p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">Cool,&nbsp;
count me in if we have quorum.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D">George<o:p></o:p></span></p>
<p class="MsoNormal"><span
style="font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&quot;Calibri&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;;color:#1F497D"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></p>
<div
style="border:none;border-top:solid #B5C4DF 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
<p class="MsoNormal"><b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">From:</span></b><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Tahoma&quot;,&quot;sans-serif&quot;">
Michael Dolan [mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org]
<br>
<b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:15 AM<br>
<b>To:</b> George Zhao<br>
<b>Cc:</b> Vincent JARDIN; O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh;
Ed Warnicke (eaw); moving@dpdk.org<br>
<b>Subject:</b> Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK &#43; Linux Foundation - summary of
fees<o:p></o:p></span></p>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">I can explore finding a room if there will be enough
people present. Who plans to be there?<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><br clear="all">
<o:p></o:p></p>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<p><span style="font-size:10.0pt">---<br>
Mike Dolan<br>
VP of Strategic Programs<br>
The Linux Foundation<br>
Office: &#43;1.330.460.3250 &nbsp;&nbsp;Cell: &#43;1.440.552.5322
&nbsp;Skype: michaelkdolan<br>
<a href="mailto:mdolan@linuxfoundation.org"
target="_blank">mdolan@linuxfoundation.org</a><br>
---</span><o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal">On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, George Zhao &lt;<a
href="mailto:George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com"
target="_blank">George.Y.Zhao@huawei.com</a>&gt; wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Question: Will there be a
f2f discussion of this topic during Open source leadership summit by Linux
foundation?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
George<br>
<br>
<span class="im">-----Original Message-----</span><br>
<span class="im">From: moving [mailto:<a
href="mailto:moving-bounces@dpdk.org">moving-bounces@dpdk.org</a>] On
Behalf Of Vincent JARDIN</span><br>
<span class="im">Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 3:46 PM</span><br>
<span class="im">To: O'Driscoll, Tim; Ed Warnicke; Jaswinder Singh</span><br>
<span class="im">Cc: Michael Dolan; Ed Warnicke (eaw); <a
href="mailto:moving@dpdk.org">
moving@dpdk.org</a></span><br>
<span class="im">Subject: Re: [dpdk-moving] DPDK &#43; Linux Foundation -
summary of fees</span><o:p></o:p></p>
<div>
<div>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom:12.0pt">Le 17/01/2017 à 23:28,
O'Driscoll, Tim a écrit :<br>
&gt; &quot;I said that Red Hat is happy with the technical operation of the<br>
&gt; project, and we don't want to see the community disrupted with toolset<br>
&gt; changes - and it's possible to work with projects like <a
href="http://fd.io" target="_blank">
fd.io</a>, OVS, and<br>
&gt; OPNFV to do testing of DPDK.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Representatives from Brocade, Cavium, and Linaro all voiced a
preference<br>
&gt; for a stand-alone lightweight project&quot;<br>
<br>
&#43;1 too<br>
<br>
DPDK is consumed by many projects and it was proven to be a successful<br>
model. By launching DPDK.org, 6WIND wanted to stimulate DPDK to be a<br>
reference for many consumers of IOs (FD.io, ovs-dpdk, moongen, ostinato,<br>
etc.) on any HW.<br>
<br>
Since day 1 of DPDK.org, DPDK allows to sustain any innovations because<br>
of a strong intent to be agnostic.<br>
<br>
<o:p></o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</div>
<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p>
</div>
</div>
</blockquote>
</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

end of thread, back to index

Thread overview: 10+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2017-01-11 12:21 [dpdk-moving] DPDK + Linux Foundation - summary of fees Vincent JARDIN
2017-01-11 15:12 ` Michael Dolan
2017-01-17 14:16   ` Jaswinder Singh
2017-01-17 20:10     ` Ed Warnicke
2017-01-17 22:28       ` O'Driscoll, Tim
2017-01-17 23:46         ` Vincent JARDIN
2017-01-18 17:11           ` George Zhao
2017-01-18 17:14             ` Michael Dolan
2017-01-18 17:19               ` George Zhao
2017-01-18 18:47                 ` Vincent Jardin

DPDK community structure changes

Archives are clonable:
	git clone --mirror http://inbox.dpdk.org/moving/0 moving/git/0.git

	# If you have public-inbox 1.1+ installed, you may
	# initialize and index your mirror using the following commands:
	public-inbox-init -V2 moving moving/ http://inbox.dpdk.org/moving \
		moving@dpdk.org
	public-inbox-index moving


Newsgroup available over NNTP:
	nntp://inbox.dpdk.org/inbox.dpdk.moving


AGPL code for this site: git clone https://public-inbox.org/ public-inbox