DPDK community structure changes
* [dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, January 24th
@ 2017-01-25 11:57 O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2017-01-25 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moving

Here are my notes from yesterday's call. Please feel free to correct any errors or to add additional details.

Attendees: Bruce Richardson (Intel), Ed Warnicke (Cisco), Erez Scop (Mellanox), Francois-Frederic Ozog (Linaro), George Zhou (Huawei), Hemant Agrawal (NXP), Jan Blunck (Brocade), Jim St. Leger (Intel), John Bromhead (Cavium), John McNamara (Intel), Keith Wiles (Intel), Matt Spencer (ARM), Mike Dolan (Linux Foundation), Olga Shern (Mellanox), Stephen Hemminger (Microsoft), Tim O'Driscoll (Intel), Vincent Jardin (6WIND).

Firstly, here are some links to help keep track of things:
Project Charter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x43ycfW3arJNX-e6NQt3OVzAuNXtD7dppIhrY48FoGs
Draft budget estimate: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-3686Xb_jf4FtxdX8Mus9UwIxUb2vI_ppmJV5GnXcLg/edit#gid=302618256
Summary of discussion at Userspace event in Dublin: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-October/049259.html
Minutes of October 31st call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000031.html
Minutes of November 8th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000058.html
Minutes of November 15th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000061.html
Minutes of November 22nd call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000085.html
Minutes of November 29th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000099.html
Minutes of December 6th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-December/000121.html
Minutes of December 13th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-December/000124.html
Minutes of December 20th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-December/000127.html
Minutes of January 10th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-January/000136.html
Minutes of January 17th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-January/000157.html
Technical governance, including info on Maintainers and sub-trees: http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/index.html & http://dpdk.org/dev.

Discussed next steps for identifying project members:

Membership costs:
- Discussed potential membership costs. My proposal was ~$50-100k for Gold, ~$5-$20k for Silver. Most agreed that this was a good starting point for discussions.
- Vincent proposed a sliding scale for Silver based on the number of employees for companies and a reduced rate for universities.
- Discussed how long the commitment should be on joining the project. Mike's guidance was that Gold usually involves a 2 year commitment but there's only a 1 year commitment for Silver. Agreed that this is a good approach.

Lab Costs:
- Discussed whether lab costs should be included in the Gold membership level or if they should be charged for separately. At the moment, the charter allows either option. Including lab costs in the Gold membership fee gives a simpler funding model but the downside is that it raises the cost for Gold membership so it restricts the number of Gold members that we'll be able to attract.
- Agreed that Mike will ask whether companies are interested in participating in a DPDK lab when talking to potential project members. This will help to decide on the right pricing approach for the lab.
- Whichever approach we take, we'll need to make sure that the lab budget is carefully managed because if we do establish a lab but then some contributors pull out it will be difficult to cover costs.
- From previous discussions with the LF (see http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2016-November/000058.html) lab costs for a full rack would start at ~$200k/year.

Desired budget:
- There was a question on what budget level we're trying to reach. There are two ways to approach this issue: a) we agree a required budget and then adjust membership fees to match that; b) we set membership fees at a reasonable level and then prioritise how we spend the resulting budget. We discussed previously and agreed on option b), but we can discuss this again at next week's meeting. Mike may have some preliminary input from his membership discussions by then which may help to guide this.

Next Meeting:
Tuesday January 31st at 3pm GMT, 4pm CET, 10am EST, 7am PST. We can discuss any preliminary input that Mike has from his membership discussions, discuss the desired budget level, and hopefully get an update from the Tech Board on any changes they're planning to make.
Access numbers for the call are:
  Skype meeting: https://meet.intel.com/tim.odriscoll/97F0Q1HF
  France: +33 1588 77298
  UK: +44 179340 2663