DPDK community structure changes
* [dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, February 28th
@ 2017-03-01 14:12 O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2017-03-01 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moving

Here are my notes from yesterday's call. Please feel free to correct any errors or to add additional details.

Attendees: Dave Neary (Red Hat), Ed Warnicke (Cisco), Erez Scop (Mellanox), George Zhao (Huawei), Jan Blunck (Brocade), John Bromhead (Cavium), John McNamara (Intel), Keith Wiles (Intel), Kevin Traynor (Red Hat), Olga Shern (Mellanox), Thomas Monjalon (6WIND), Tim O'Driscoll (Intel)

Firstly, here are some links to help keep track of things:
Project Charter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x43ycfW3arJNX-e6NQt3OVzAuNXtD7dppIhrY48FoGs
Budget estimate: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-3686Xb_jf4FtxdX8Mus9UwIxUb2vI_ppmJV5GnXcLg/edit#gid=302618256
Reference Lab Proposal: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-February/000177.html
Technical governance, including info on Maintainers and sub-trees: http://dpdk.org/doc/guides/contributing/index.html & http://dpdk.org/dev.
Summary of discussion at Userspace event in Dublin: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-October/049259.html
Minutes of January 10th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-January/000136.html
Minutes of January 17th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-January/000157.html
Minutes of January 24th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-January/000162.html
Minutes of January 31st call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-February/000176.html
Minutes of February 7th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-February/000179.html
Minutes of February 14th call: http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/moving/2017-February/000180.html

Membership status:
- Based on discussions with potential members, $50k seems a good level for those considering gold level membership. Agreed $50k membership fee for gold members.
- LF proposed a $5-20k sliding scale for silver members. That seems reasonable, but we need some details on what that sliding scale is. Presumably there's a model from other LF projects that we can reuse. I'll follow up with Mike to get more details on this.
- Agreed to target a project launch at ONS (April 3-6). This is very tight though so we'll need to move quickly.
- Ed pointed out that even things that seem simple like agreeing quotes for a press release can take a long time.
- We need to finalise the charter. Can those who are considering becoming members review one last time and we can aim to finalise it at next week's meeting. We do need to be careful not to raise issues that we've discussed and resolved previously.
- We discussed whether we need to add the next level of detail on membership benefits to the charter. This might include things like specifying how gold and silver members are identified/promoted at DPDK events, further details on lab access/rates for gold and silver members etc. The disadvantages are that firstly these details may take a long time to agree, and secondly that putting this info into the charter constrains what the governing board can and cannot do in future. The consensus was to keep the charter at the current level of detail and leave these details for the governing board to define once it's in place.
- Agreed that we do need a summary of membership levels, rates and benefits that people can use to explain this to their management when requesting approval. I'll work on a draft before next week's meeting.

- Companies will need to sign up 1 week before then (Monday March 27th).
- We'll aim to finalise the charter at next week's meeting, and have a draft of the membership agreement from the LF.

DNS Transfer:
- Thomas is working on DNS transfer for dpdk.org to the LF. Nobody had any objections to this.

Next Meeting:
Tuesday March 7th at 3pm GMT, 4pm CET, 10am EST, 7am PST (I'll send an update to extend the meeting series). Access numbers for the call are:
  Skype meeting: https://meet.intel.com/tim.odriscoll/97F0Q1HF
  France: +33 1588 77298
  UK: +44 179340 2663
  USA: +1 916 356 2663
  Bridge Number: 5
  Conference ID: 120705852
The goal for the next meeting is to finalise the charter and membership agreement.

* Re: [dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, February 28th
@ 2017-03-01 14:36 ` Dave Neary
From: Dave Neary @ 2017-03-01 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: O'Driscoll, Tim, moving

Hi Tim,

May I propose that we schedule a board meeting and silver member board
seat election either to happen at ONS, or (ideally) to happen before
ONS, after March 27th? The first item of the agenda would be
introductions, the second would be budget priorities, given available
resources (which by then will be known).

Thanks,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy
Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338

* Re: [dpdk-moving] Minutes from "Moving DPDK to Linux Foundation" call, February 28th
@ 2017-03-01 14:40   ` O'Driscoll, Tim
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2017-03-01 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Neary, moving

> From: Dave Neary [mailto:dneary@redhat.com]
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> May I propose that we schedule a board meeting and silver member board
> seat election either to happen at ONS, or (ideally) to happen before
> ONS, after March 27th? The first item of the agenda would be
> introductions, the second would be budget priorities, given available
> resources (which by then will be known).

Yes, that sounds good to me. I think we should do that.

@ 2017-03-01 14:44 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-03-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moving; +Cc: O'Driscoll, Tim

2017-03-01 14:12, O'Driscoll, Tim:
> DNS Transfer:
> - Thomas is working on DNS transfer for dpdk.org to the LF. Nobody had any objections to this.

Correction:
I won't work on the transfer. It is the responsibility of the Governing Board
or the LF to require such transfer from the owner to the LF.