DPDK community structure changes
* [dpdk-moving] Board Names
@ 2016-11-16 16:50 O'Driscoll, Tim
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: O'Driscoll, Tim @ 2016-11-16 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: moving

One thing that came up during yesterday's call that we didn't reach a conclusion on was names for our board and tech board. Rather than take up time on this during the weekly calls, perhaps we can agree via email.

For the board itself, there are several options including:
1.a Governing Board. This is frequently used in other LF projects.
1.b Board of Directors. This is also frequently used in other LF projects.
1.c DPDK Board. This is a bit more neutral and doesn't imply that the board governs the technical aspects of the project.
1.d DPDK Marketing & CI Board. This is more specific, but is a bit misleading as the board only manages the budget for CI, not all aspects of CI.

For the technical board, the options include:
2.a Technical Board. This is the current name.
2.b Technical Steering Committee. This is the name typically used on other LF projects.

For reference, here's the naming that some other LF projects use:
FD.io (https://fd.io/sites/cpstandard/files/pages/files/exhibit_a_-_fd.io_project_by-laws.pdf): Board of Directors, Technical Steering Committee
IOVisor (https://www.iovisor.org/about/governance): Governing Board, Technical Steering Committee
OVS (http://openvswitch.org/charter/charter.pdf): (no board because there's no budget), Technical Steering Committee
ODL (https://www.opendaylight.org/bylaws): Board, Technical Steering Committee
OPNFV (https://www.opnfv.org/about/governance): Board of Directors, Technical Steering Committee

What do people think? My vote would be 1.a and 2.b, but I'm not overly concerned with names as long as we clearly define the scope of each.

Tim