Can we setup a call next week with the counsel for the major contributors? If it's 7-9 companies this shouldn't be difficult to resolve. I hate to be difficult but this topic will not be resolved on a public mailing list unless everyone is willing to punt on the issue until there is a governing board to make the decision. I am willing to schedule and host the call. I just need the names and emails of your counsel. Please email me directly and not on the list. Thanks, Mike --- Mike Dolan VP of Strategic Programs The Linux Foundation Office: +1.330.460.3250 Cell: +1.440.552.5322 Skype: michaelkdolan mdolan@linuxfoundation.org --- On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Francois Ozog wrote: > Hello, > > please find the Linaro CLA that passed many large companies lawyers for > IP: http://opendataplane.org/contributor/individual/ > > Compnies that already signed it (not all are listed): ARM, Broadcom, > Canonical, Cavium, Cisco, Comcast, Ericsson, ENEA, Facebook, Hisilicon, HP > Enterprise, Huawei, MontaVista, Nokia, NXP, Qualcomm, RedHat, Samsung, > Socionext, Spreadtrum, ST microelectronics, Texas Instruments, Wind River, > ZTE > > I wonder how to read "Need for a CLA is a problem for some contributors > due to the need to get legal approval." > > Is it: "let's mask the problem to lawyers because they may NOT allow us to > continue our technical fun?" or is it "this is just a burden that may take > long and I don't want to lose time". > > Cordially, > > FF > > On 1 December 2016 at 19:50, Dave Neary wrote: > >> >> >> On 12/01/2016 01:41 PM, Dave Neary wrote: >> >> Note that I’m assuming that the combination of Apache 2 and a CLA >> isn't an option because this seems redundant as both include patent >> protection. Maybe there are other reasons that would make this a valid >> combination though. >> > >> > The Apache Software Foundation requires CLAs with copyright assignment >> > to the foundation for official Apache projects - this is to allow for >> > future license changes (an Apache v3 license), and also reflects some of >> > the difficulties of a 30 year old project (several of the original >> > copyright holders are no longer with the project, or have died, and the >> > succession rights for copyright materials can sometimes result in >> > unfortunate conflicts between the estates and open source projects). >> >> A small but important correction: The ASF CLA is a grant of a broad >> copyright license which allows, among other things, the ASF to >> redistribute the software under a different license. It is not a >> copyright assignment. >> >> Thanks, >> Dave. >> >> -- >> Dave Neary - NFV/SDN Community Strategy >> Open Source and Standards, Red Hat - http://community.redhat.com >> Ph: +1-978-399-2182 / Cell: +1-978-799-3338 >> > > > > -- > [image: Linaro] > François-Frédéric Ozog | *Director Linaro Networking Group* > T: +33.67221.6485 > francois.ozog@linaro.org | Skype: ffozog > >