patches for DPDK stable branches
From: Christian Ehrhardt <christian.ehrhardt@canonical.com>
To: Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com>
Cc: Kalesh Anakkur Purayil <kalesh-anakkur.purayil@broadcom.com>,
	dpdk stable <stable@dpdk.org>,  dpdk-dev <dev@dpdk.org>,
	Abhishek Marathe <Abhishek.Marathe@microsoft.com>,
	 Akhil Goyal <akhil.goyal@nxp.com>,
	Ali Alnubani <alialnu@nvidia.com>,
	benjamin.walker@intel.com,
	David Christensen <drc@linux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	 Hariprasad Govindharajan <hariprasad.govindharajan@intel.com>,
	 Hemant Agrawal <hemant.agrawal@nxp.com>,
	Ian Stokes <ian.stokes@intel.com>,
	 Jerin Jacob <jerinj@marvell.com>,
	John McNamara <john.mcnamara@intel.com>,
	 Ju-Hyoung Lee <juhlee@microsoft.com>,
	Kevin Traynor <ktraynor@redhat.com>,
	 Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org>, Pei Zhang <pezhang@redhat.com>,
	pingx.yu@intel.com,  qian.q.xu@intel.com,
	Raslan Darawsheh <rasland@nvidia.com>,
	 Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net>,
	yuan.peng@intel.com, zhaoyan.chen@intel.com
Subject: Re: 19.11.11 patches review and test
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 14:32:29 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 1:59 PM Ferruh Yigit <ferruh.yigit@intel.com> wrote:

> On 12/13/2021 12:39 PM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:

> >> Hi Kalesh,
> >>
> >> I have sent a backport patch for 20.11, can you please check if it fixes
> >> the build for the v19.11 too?
> >>
> >> http://inbox.dpdk.org/stable/BYAPR11MB27110B5509D1C5B999BB3AA1FE709@BYAPR11MB2711.namprd11.prod.outlook.com/T/#m3a451169c23b73d9f421fa0d7cf8da8c9f9e496f
> >
> > This patch is already applied in 19.11.11 as [1], thereby at least
> > without backport adaptations it surely does not fix the problem.
> >

> It is indeed.
>
> @Kalesh, can you please share more details related to the build error?
>

> > Comparing the upstream, the 20.11 backport and the 19.11 kernel_dir
> > the difference is that 19.11 currently has it inside the check for
> > kernel_dir.
> > But both get initialized from ` get_option('kernel_dir')` so either
> > both or none would trigger and therefore it should be ok as-is.
> >
> > I'm happy to consider a fix if someone looks deeper into it and let me
> > know what adaptations to try.
> > I can also test build SLES15SP3 (before this discussion I knew it was
> > "still broken").
> >

> The above fix should fix the build for SLES15SP3, are you aware of any
> build error after that patch?

As I said my SLES15SP3 test build kept failing [1] and it looked like
the very same issue as before.

[  351s]   CC
/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/dpdk-1638972763.ee4ce5a57/x86_64-default-linux-gcc/build/kernel/linux/igb_uio/igb_uio.mod.o
[  351s] /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/dpdk-1638972763.ee4ce5a57/x86_64-default-linux-gcc/build/kernel/linux/kni/kni_net.c:791:20:
error: initialization from incompatible pointer type
[-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
[  351s]   .ndo_tx_timeout = kni_net_tx_timeout,

[1]: https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:cpaelzer:branches:home:bluca:dpdk/dpdk-19.11/SLE_15/x86_64

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server