From: abrahamgv@students.itb.ac.id
To: users@dpdk.org
Subject: [dpdk-users] DPDK on 1Gbps NIC
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 20:31:21 +0700 (WIB)	[thread overview]

So I recently try to implement physical OvS-DPDK with Intel NIC (1Gbps). Then, I compared the performance between native OvS and OvS-DPDK. I found out that there is not much difference in the performance, I also tried changing the packet size (range from 64B - 1500B) and the result: OvS-DPDK is 1.05~1.3x higher than native OvS. Meanwhile, Intel performance report (this is one of them: https://download.01.org/packet-processing/ONPS2.1/Intel_ONP_Release_2.1_Performance_Test_Report_Rev1.0.pdf ) stated that OvS-DPDK performance is 10~12x higher than native OvS (in the link given, it is on section 7.2.1: PHY-OVS-PHY).

The difference between "my OvS" and "Intel OvS" is Intel used 10Gbps NIC (and even try to reach 40Gbps by using 4x10Gbps NIC), instead of me that just used 1Gbps NIC. So here is my question:

1) Is DPDK performance-gain more likely to happen with higher speed NIC, such as 10Gbps NIC rather than 1Gbps or 100 Mbps NIC?
2) And to prove the question above, is there any performance report regarding OvS-DPDK vs native-OvS with 1Gbps or 100 Mbps NIC?

Thank you,

Abraham