* [dpdk-users] General Questions
@ 2020-04-09  6:11 Cristofer Martins
From: Cristofer Martins @ 2020-04-09  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: users

Well the reason i thought about using dpdk(together with a user space tcp stack) is because my tcp code spend so much time with syscalls that removing that would allow better throughput and latency. Is this a valid reason? My software runs in single core(and most of time in cheap vps) so i want to extract the best i can from them.
The other question is, can dpdk runs alongside with the linux network stack? I want to use dpdk in my special app but i still want to have ssh and apps working as expected without any modification.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: [dpdk-users] General Questions
@ 2020-04-09 14:58 ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-04-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristofer Martins; +Cc: users

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 06:11:28 +0000
Cristofer Martins <CristoferMartins@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well the reason i thought about using dpdk(together with a user space tcp stack) is because my tcp code spend so much time with syscalls that removing that would allow better throughput and latency. Is this a valid reason? My software runs in single core(and most of time in cheap vps) so i want to extract the best i can from them.
> The other question is, can dpdk runs alongside with the linux network stack? I want to use dpdk in my special app but i still want to have ssh and apps working as expected without any modification.
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you are doing syscalls in your DPDK application, then you are defeating the point
of DPDK and you are better off using the kernel networking stack.

* Re: [dpdk-users] General Questions
@ 2020-04-09 15:27 ` Shyam Shrivastav
From: Shyam Shrivastav @ 2020-04-09 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cristofer Martins; +Cc: users

From my experience as dpdk user

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Cristofer Martins <
CristoferMartins@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well the reason i thought about using dpdk(together with a user space tcp
> stack) is because my tcp code spend so much time with syscalls that
> removing that would allow better throughput and latency. Is this a valid
> reason? My software runs in single core(and most of time in cheap vps) so i
> want to extract the best i can from them.

Yes using dpdk instead of getting packets from kernel stack increases
performance

> The other question is, can dpdk runs alongside with the linux network
> stack? I want to use dpdk in my special app but i still want to have ssh
> and apps working as expected without any modification.

Interface used by dpdk is not available, at least another interface
required for management/access &  other network apps

@ 2020-04-09 15:32   ` Stephen Hemminger
From: Stephen Hemminger @ 2020-04-09 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shyam Shrivastav; +Cc: Cristofer Martins, users

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 20:57:19 +0530
Shyam Shrivastav <shrivastav.shyam@gmail.com> wrote:

> From my experience as dpdk user
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Cristofer Martins <
> CristoferMartins@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well the reason i thought about using dpdk(together with a user space tcp
> > stack) is because my tcp code spend so much time with syscalls that
> > removing that would allow better throughput and latency. Is this a valid
> > reason? My software runs in single core(and most of time in cheap vps) so i
> > want to extract the best i can from them.
> >

> Yes using dpdk instead of getting packets from kernel stack increases
> performance
>

> > The other question is, can dpdk runs alongside with the linux network
> > stack? I want to use dpdk in my special app but i still want to have ssh
> > and apps working as expected without any modification.
> >
> Interface used by dpdk is not available, at least another interface
> required for management/access &  other network apps
>

> > Thanks in advance.

This might be a good use case for AF_XDP with or without DPDK

* Re: [dpdk-users] General Questions
@ 2020-04-09 20:58     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2020-04-09 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shyam Shrivastav, Cristofer Martins; +Cc: users, Stephen Hemminger

09/04/2020 17:32, Stephen Hemminger:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 20:57:19 +0530
> Shyam Shrivastav <shrivastav.shyam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > From my experience as dpdk user
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Cristofer Martins <
> > CristoferMartins@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Well the reason i thought about using dpdk(together with a user space tcp
> > > stack) is because my tcp code spend so much time with syscalls that
> > > removing that would allow better throughput and latency. Is this a valid
> > > reason? My software runs in single core(and most of time in cheap vps) so i
> > > want to extract the best i can from them.
> > >

> > Yes using dpdk instead of getting packets from kernel stack increases
> > performance
> >

> > > The other question is, can dpdk runs alongside with the linux network
> > > stack? I want to use dpdk in my special app but i still want to have ssh
> > > and apps working as expected without any modification.
> > >
> > Interface used by dpdk is not available, at least another interface
> > required for management/access &  other network apps
> >

> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >

> This might be a good use case for AF_XDP with or without DPDK

AF_XDP helps to use a device both with Linux stack and userland application.
This capability is what we call the bifurcated model.
The Mellanox drivers are also using a bifurcated model:
the same device can send some packet flows to the kernel interface,
and other (configured) packet flows to the DPDK interface.